• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Fuel filler tube install question

Juan Veldez

Reaction score
What kind of lube/sealer should I use at the rubber gasket where the fuel filler tube inserts into the gas tank?

70chall440

Reaction score
None, I usually just put some Vaseline on the inside of the rubber to help the tube slide in but it doesn't need any other sealer.

Juan Veldez

Reaction score
None, I usually just put some Vaseline on the inside of the rubber to help the tube slide in but it doesn't need any other sealer.
Thanks. I had a question about the actual install also, but found your response in a previous thread.

Last edited:

moparleo

Reaction score
Last edited:

Juan Veldez

Reaction score
Juan,
This is based on many years in the rubber industry(tires, related)
Generally you must be careful when using a petroleum based product with rubber parts. Silicone is the stuff to use. Or vegetable based. Same stuff used for tire mounting.,

I understand and agree. But the funny thing is, it's the fuel tank and guess what is inside, petroleum. I will only use non ethanol gas in this thing. I hear ethanol gas is the number one cause of fires with all the rubber, and using a carburetor instead of fuel injection.

70chall440

Reaction score
I don't disagree with the articles however I have been using Vaseline on O rings and the like for many years and never have had an issue. Some of the O rings were something other than rubber I am sure but I am quite sure than many of them were rubber. Not saying this is right, just pointing out that the rubber isn't going to fall a part in a day due to some Vaseline, but I have also used WD40 and that seems to work ok.

moparleo

Reaction score
I always wait for the ' I agree " But" or "however".
Unfortunately the tank will be in there much more than a day. People have been doing things incorrectly for 1,000 of years. They usually get away with it. But sometimes they don't. Ethanol destroys "rubber" That is why current fuel pumps and fuel lines, carb rebuild kits etc... are being made with modern "ethanol resistant" synthetics.
Guess what, gasoline is a "refined" petroleum product and the rubber items used in a "fuel" system are designed for that use. Gasoline.
Ethanol, Grease and oil are not the same.
If you are going to be putting Ethanol blends in your car, You need to be sure that you fuel system has been upgraded for reliability and safety.
I gave you the proper information, your choice what to do with it.

Back