• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Fuel Tank Requirements?

Quiny

Reaction score
Plan is to install a Gen 3 5.7 into a 1973 Cuda. I purchased a Spectra EFI tank from RockAuto. It came with a Walbro GSS342 pump. Although the tank is of original design it seems like a decent setup for what I am looking for (just a nice day driver) especially for the price. My question is, this tank has the original 4 vent ports on top. The original setup had those vents plumbed to a manifold then a single vent line brought to the evap system in the engine compartment. My thought is to just cap 3 of the vents, install a rollover valve in the 4th and plumb it up to the engine compartment. Thoughts? any other solutions have haven't considered?
tankmanifold.jpg
tankpump.jpg
tankvent.jpg

scar426

Reaction score
Plan is to install a Gen 3 5.7 into a 1973 Cuda. I purchased a Spectra EFI tank from RockAuto. It came with a Walbro GSS342 pump. Although the tank is of original design it seems like a decent setup for what I am looking for (just a nice day driver) especially for the price. My question is, this tank has the original 4 vent ports on top. The original setup had those vents plumbed to a manifold then a single vent line brought to the evap system in the engine compartment. My thought is to just cap 3 of the vents, install a rollover valve in the 4th and plumb it up to the engine compartment. Thoughts? any other solutions have haven't considered?View attachment 97003View attachment 97004View attachment 97005
First a question. Is that an actual EfI tank, or just a reproduction tank for a carbureted motor with an electric fuel pump? Does it have baffles and a sump of sorts? If not, you may have some fuel starvation issues when fuel is low and driving around corners/curves and such. Electric pumps tend to suck air easier than mechanical pumps. Just my two cents and something to think about.

Anyhow, your plan for hose routing and capping of the extra ports is fine.

MoparCarGuy

Reaction score
The dedicated EFI tanks have a lot of pros and one con but the setup you have should work fine. You have an in-tank 255lph pump which dampens the sound. You have a provision for a return line which keeps the fuel cooler to avoid percolation/vapor lock and you have an accessible electric pump should you need to replace it. Your vent plan will work as well.

EFI Tank Pros:
Fuel Sump
Baffles for fuel control and slosh.
Reduced aeration if return line is fed to bottom of tank.

EFI Tank Con:
If the electric pump goes bad, you have to drop the rear valance and the tank to remove and replace it. Most of us do NOT want to cut a hole in the trunk floor to access the electric pump or fuel gauge sending unit.

Tanks Inc tank for Cuda.jpg
Tanks Inc internal Cuda tank baffle.jpg
EFI Tank fuel pump sump.jpg

Steve340

Reaction score
If all the vent tubes are there I would re-fit the original vent system.
Nothing worse than the stink of gas on a hot day.

tonysrt

Reaction score
If you plan on capping any of those tubes I would use a hose clamp or a nylon tie to secure the caps.

Quiny

Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies, I'm not sure about the baffling inside the tank that I bought but maybe I will check it out before I install it. It does look like an original reproduction tank just with an electric fuel pump. I don't plan on any high G maneuvers so even if it isn't baffled I will just make sure not to go below 1/2 a tank. Glad to read everyone agrees on the venting. I definitely don't want gas fumes in the garage.

Quiny

Reaction score
First a question. Is that an actual EfI tank, or just a reproduction tank for a carbureted motor with an electric fuel pump? Does it have baffles and a sump of sorts? If not, you may have some fuel starvation issues when fuel is low and driving around corners/curves and such. Electric pumps tend to suck air easier than mechanical pumps. Just my two cents and something to think about.

Anyhow, your plan for hose routing and capping of the extra ports is fine.
It looks like a reproduction but it came with a high pressure pump and it is advertised as an EFI tank. I will have to look inside with a bore scope to check out baffling. Thanks for the advice.

scar426

Reaction score
It looks like a reproduction but it came with a high pressure pump and it is advertised as an EFI tank. I will have to look inside with a bore scope to check out baffling. Thanks for the advice.
Not to beat a dead horse, but...... If it is not in fact a baffled tank, I personally would just buy one that is (plus no "extra" lines to plug). Tanksinc sells them for under $400. My friend had a conventional tank with an EFI pump setup and even driving around town if he was down to about a 1/4 tank, it would suck air going around corners. Do it all once correctly and save yourself the headache (Potentially) and the time and expense to redo it. You can probably resell that tank for a minimal loss to recoup some funds (assuming it is not baffled)/ Just my 2 cents.:soapbox:;)

Ok did some digging, looks like this tank has a sump, not sure on the baffles, but should be fine for regular and mildly spirited driving. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
Let me whip the horse one time. I'm not that tuned into EFI.But would a surge tank help with the issues? how would it have to be set up?

Last edited:

scar426

Reaction score
Not to beat a dead horse, but...... If it is not in fact a baffled tank, I personally would just buy one that is (plus no "extra" lines to plug). Tanksinc sells them for under $400. My friend had a conventional tank with an EFI pump setup and even driving around town if he was down to about a 1/4 tank, it would suck air going around corners. Do it all once correctly and save yourself the headache (Potentially) and the time and expense to redo it. You can probably resell that tank for a minimal loss to recoup some funds (assuming it is not baffled)/ Just my 2 cents.:soapbox:;)
Let me whip the horse one time. I'm not that tuned into EFI.But would a surge tank with the issues? how would it have to be set up?
Dunno, but why reinvent the wheel and add extra complexity and components to the mix?? ;)

Katfish

Reaction score
I've had that Spectra EFI tank in my car for 4 years with zero issues.
No reason to spend double on those other brands.

There are 4 vents because they go to each corner of the tank.
No reason to not use the factory manifold and run the single output up to the engine.

Quiny

Reaction score
I've had that Spectra EFI tank in my car for 4 years with zero issues.
No reason to spend double on those other brands.

There are 4 vents because they go to each corner of the tank.
No reason to not use the factory manifold and run the single output up to the engine.
Thank you for the reply, I agree. I hate to sound like I am cheap, but this tank and pump was under $400 with sale and coupon. At some point I have to keep costs down. I already know I will never recoup my expenses but that was never the point. Its not a number matching car or a desirable year, but I think its cool and I always wanted one when I was young.

hpjunke

Reaction score
I have a Efi Tanks inc tank for my gen3 Hemi and if i were you , id go this route like others have stated it has a baffle pump and sender go right in . I’ve had mine when since 2017 without an issue

Back