• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Fusible Link, 74 Challenger

Reaction score
I'm hoping for some insight into a problem that I'm having with my 74 Challenger. I'm a newbie to Mopar ownership.

Last week, I was hoping to take my Challenger out for a ride. When I put the key in, everything seemed to be fine, but when I went to start it up, nothing happened, car went dead and smoke was rising from the engine compartment. Upon further inspection, I found the the Fusible Link from the bulkhead connector was fried. (I believe it's the original one from the looks of it). Thinking it was only the fusible link and that it could have failed due to age, I went to NAPA, got a replacement link (Checking the wiring diagram and I believe it's 16 gauge) and placed it the the car. All the lights were working again, but when I went to start the car, this link fried too. Is there any advice that a more experience Mopar owner than I am could provide? Any particular sequence of checks that would make resolving this easier?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

74 challenger

Reaction score
Bought my chally and the harness was shot.Were was the smoke coming from?Was told right from the start to run a bypass wire from alt to starter relay to take load of off the bulkhead.Clean and check all connections, get a volt meter and check to see if a wire is grounding out . It sounds like you have a bad wire which is frying your fuse. Do a search here on bypass wire,very simple job and will save your dash harness. Good luck.

Reaction score
Thanks for your advice. I plan on doing the bypass soon. Not quite sure were the smoke was coming for because I was starting it. So I took a look at the wiring following the wiring diagram. I traced the wiring from the ammeter gauge back through the bulkhead where it connects to the Alternator. Turns out there was a burn on the wire at the connection near the firewall that runs to the alternator. Could that wire be causing my fusible link to blow? How would the alternator and current flow affect the car when starting?

74 challenger

Reaction score
you have alot of power draw on the wires-alt- I believe when starting up.The bypass wire is for that reason.Takes the load of the bulkhead so that alt wire wont burn everything up.The fusible link did its job .Seen pics of finished car that caught on fire under the dash.clean and grease all the wire connections and run that bypass wire.You could put a fuse in or by a fusible link.

Back