• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Gas Cap Conversion 73 Challenger

Moparmark

Reaction score
I have a body matching gas cap on my 73 Challenger. I want to switch it to the flip top. Can anyone please tell what year gas cap will fit inside of the flip top style cap? I have seen the locking cap but not a regular twist cap. Will the 70-72 fit the 73? Thanks

purplehayes

Reaction score
Moparmark Clasic industries part #MF365 chrome flip top gas cap and trim ring should do the trick for you it shows that they fit 70-74 Challengers, I am trying one on my 72 Challenger so hopefully all goes well with it.
Thanks
Jack

challenger6pak

Reaction score
The flip top fits all years of Challenger. I have a small nonlocking cap from an AMC Hornet in mine.

Last edited:

moparleo

Reaction score
Hey mr. purplehayes, That is the flip top "cover" the gas cap goes underneath. These covers were only optional on the 1970-and 1971. Those years took a different cap than the 72-74. As Moparmark is finding out, there is not much available to fit properly other than the locking cap. That would be my choice anyway. Also get some theft proof screws for the cap and ring, otherwise someone can steal your cap in under a minute. Here is a link for the special screws and tool.
http://www.herbsparts.com/search.asp?pg=1&stext=r+challenger+flip+top+cap&sprice=&stype=&scat=

Last edited:

challenger6pak

Reaction score
Locking gas caps are great if someone can't get to the tank. Around where I live they just put a hole in the tank to steal fuel. The locking cap would deter a prankster from putting something in the tank.

moparleo

Reaction score
What can I say? You can't stop everybody but that doesn't mean that you should not lock the door on your house when you leave to go somewhere. Make them work for it. The cap is not that expensive.

Moparmark

Reaction score
Thank you all for your help. I found a locking cap at my local NAPA store for $12. Then went to ebay for the ring $20 and the flip top cap for $85. I'll let you know how it all works out. Maybe I can quit using an old rag.

Back