• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Head Gasket leak

73-Cudah2

Reaction score
Checked my oil and it looks like chocolate mike dang! I need to pull the engine to do other work but wanted to ask
you guys, if I should remove exhaust manifolds or just unbolt from exhaust and pull it with them on? Looks like it will clear lifting the engine up and out.
I plan to replace heads and intake gasket's. I want to clean up the engine and paint it also. I was planning on doing that later but the leak forced my hand.
any advice would be appreciated big time. This is pushing out my PDR work a bit now. I just finished the heater core rebuild and new core install when I noticed the oil issue. Thanks

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
depends on what engine to a point but yes it can be removed with the manifolds in place just more risk of damage if the engine comes close to the inner fenders .
you will need to take the engine apart completely as the bearings could also be damaged

tonysrt

Reaction score
What engine, and do you know why gasket is leaking? Usually an overheat, or maybe cheap gasket. If you tell us, may help someone else from making same mistake.

73-Cudah2

Reaction score
I have a 1973 Cuda 340 4 speed, Yes the engine did over heat into the red line 2 times ( First time I thought it was just low on coolant, I was worried about head gaskets so I did check oil at a gas station to add more coolant the oil looked good. The second time was about one mile from that gas station home and it over heated again and check oil again it looked good after parking it in the garage for 2 months thinking it was the water pump/thermostat ). I don't think it was driven with milky oil ( it's been sitting in garage ) but there could be more damage I will check it over if anything else needs to be replaced.My attention was focused on replacing water pump/thermostat and heater core at the same time when I just checked the oil and saw it milky.

Another question would you pull the transmission with engine or disconnect the transmission and just support the trans by a jack or just remove the transmission from the engine first? Trying to avoid extra work.
Looking at a few videos of 340 engines being pulled. Unlike "Grave Yard Cars" I don't have a lift to lift up the car and do a k member drop with the engine. If you have pulled an engine out of a E body is there any other things I should be thinking about please add. No AC to worry about.
Thank you.

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
I always do the K frame drop easier , faster & cleaner , you don't need a hoist to do it , the engine crane is enough .
I hate trying to do the trans through the engine bay so I would leave it in place .
340 can be removed easily with the manifolds on the engine .
Remove the dist & oil sender to keep it away from the firewall as you pull it .
Milky oil had to be started at least to mix it otherwise the oil just floats on the water .

mrmopar340

Reaction score
Yep and enough could have left those bearings spinning in water instead of the oil. Definitely need a teardown to check the bearings.

73-Cudah2

Reaction score
The engine has it mixed in the intake also. I will pull and clean and check mains too.
The Cam looks good from what I can see with the intake removed. I ran into a problem trying to use a HF 1 Ton lift.
it wouldn't reach far enough into to pull it up and out. I ended up buying a leveler that was a little longer and I removed the front end.
looks like I can reach now. I am doing the engine pull off Kwik lift ramps makes it easy work under it removing things. I think I'll have to lower the ramps on to blocks so the 1 Ton can roll under the lift tube. It looks like I have enough room to clear the radiator frame to pull the engine over it.

IMG_4254-c - Copy.jpg

IMG_4265-c - Copy.jpg

IMG_4284-c - Copy.jpg

Last edited:
Back