• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Heavy gas pedal

Avalanche

Reaction score
I have a Holley 770 avenger on my 440. The pedal is very heavy, I have the holley adaptor that bolts onto the carb to align the cable and it helps a little. The cable is fine. Can I just retrofit a longer adaptor to give more leverage and lighten the pedal?

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
Changing the leverage will alter the pedal travel so making the pedal lighter will probably prevent you getting the carb fully open .
Typically the pedal should be light , Holleys are not an issue so something is wrong , , disconnect the carb is the carb moving freely or binding on a base gasket , is the pedal & cable moving freely ? Often the cable is frayed inside the housing & may bind or the carpet could be binding the pedal pivot , or maybe the return springs are too stiff or located in the wrong place adding load to the feel .

Avalanche

Reaction score
Cable is moves freely and is new. If I disconnect the return spring It's still heavy. I think its the carb design.

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
I doubt the carb is the problem , , it should be smooth opening , if the gasket is thick it could be twisting the base or binding on the gasket of manifold , try loosening the bolts holding it down & move the carb around a little it may help

Avalanche

Reaction score
I doubt the carb is the problem , , it should be smooth opening , if the gasket is thick it could be twisting the base or binding on the gasket of manifold , try loosening the bolts holding it down & move the carb around a little it may help

The carb dosent seem to be binding, but you may be right. I will try to loosen the carb and see what happens.

Thank you.

Back