• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Hello From Wisconsin

tomjan_coop

Reaction score
Hello Everyone. New to the forum.
New to owning a Challenger. My father gave me the car as he was sick of working on it and it would never be finished (he bought a newer mustang instead). He bought the car with 5000 miles in 75, so I have a good amount of history on it. The car runs and drives, but needs some - A LOT - of TLC. It is a 72 318 original engine. Trans is not original. I have all the parts and pieces but some need to be replaced. Obviously needs paint and body work. I want to do this thing right and it is going to take years I figure.
Short List: New paint, new suspension, convert to disc breaks, rebuilt tranny (works but leaking badly), replace wiring harnesses, new interior. A lot of parts will be re-usable but going for making it a nice weekend driver. I don't really care about keeping it all original as it is not a super rare or high dollar car.

Right now getting ready to inventory and catalog everything. Maybe start on the body work this winter and get it primed. My buddies a body guy/painter so at least I have some help there. It's a little overwhelming looking at it every day, haha.

Once I get into it I am sure I will have many questions and looking forward to the project.

IMG_7117.JPG

IMG_7666.jpg

IMG_7668.jpg

IMG_8372.jpg

IMG_8373.jpg

70chall440

Reaction score
Welcome from WA state. Don't look at the project in its entirety, focus on one area at a time and before you know it, it will be done. Its easy to become overwhelmed, but just let that go. Work on things that you are interested in (engine, interior, body work, etc) and save the ones you are not for later. There are "better" ways to build a car (meaning the sequence) but truthfully it can be done in about any order and still will get it done. Of course it is better to get some paint in the engine compartment pretty early on so that you can get the engine/trans in and working if you so desire.

Lots of options for drive train, probably one of the least talked about it a 5.9 (360) with a A518 OD trans out of a late 90's early 2000s Dodge 1500 2WD. Its a roller motor and you get OD. Could also look at doing a 5.7 Hemi swap or you could just keep the 318.

moparleo

Reaction score
:welcome:aboard. Nice project there. Keeping track of the parts is key.
If you need help in knowing where everything goes, there are some great books out there.

I am sure you already have a Factory Service Manual, but here is a link anyway for any one else that may need one.

Attachments

• Project Car Checklist.pdf
    784.8 KB · Views: 108

fasjac

Reaction score
Welcome to the site from Arkansas! That’s a nice project for sure. Glad to see you bringing another one back to life. Ditto on the above advice

WDO72

Reaction score
Welcome from Northern CA! Looks like a fun project. Enjoy!

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
Welcome to the site from Panama .
I would order a lot of the parts now , the may not be available for very long , you can check with Roseville Moparts & get a discount .
I agree that alternate drivetrains can be a great upgrade , the 500/518 will give you OD & make the car much more fun . The 360 Roller engine from 87-92 is a bolt in & a far better engine although the early 318s do very well .
The 3rd gen Hemi is a whole different thing & a lot more $$ to do but well worth it .
As you disassemble take a lot of pictures & put everything it labelled baggies or totes .

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
Welcome. There is a good advice posted here,I see your off to a good start with a classic class A bundge for a battery hold down.Be prepared for a few surprises and wonderment. Have a plan work the plan and follow through. Plans change and you can change you mind.

tomjan_coop

Reaction score
Thanks Everyone. It is going to be fun (I think) and I am not on a time line. The plan I think is to get the body prepped with primer. It can sit like that for a while. Then start working on the moving parts. Body, suspension and brakes, engine and tranny, final paint and interior. Very simplified timeline but maybe it will work. Available time and money are going to be the main factors for the timeline. The only part that actually scares me is the wiring, especially if I swap a motor in. Fuel injection would be nice to have. I feel comfortable with most other things but wiring is a little new to me.

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
Wiring is not bad as long as you tackle it one wire at a time not all at once , relatively simple . I wired in a gen 3 392 & used the harness supplied by Mopar , i removed about 1/3 of the wires from the harness as they were reduntant , my friend was freaking out wondering how he would get it to work if I didn't but it worked out perfectly !

moparlee

Reaction score
Welcome to the site from Michigan!
Looks like a nice project. Just take your time and don't rush or cut corners. You will have some frustrating times (we all do) and sometimes you need to just step back from it for awhile.

Mopar-Maniac

Reaction score
Greetings from Florida. I've been working on my project for 9 years. Just now getting it together, especially the interior and some wiring/lighting issues. Still needs some paintwork in a few areas. The thing you need to get used to is that you are never really done.

Back