• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Hemi VC removal w/ brake booster?

73DAD

Reaction score
Anybody out there running solids in a hemi with power brakes in an E-body?

My 71 rt is currently a 400 auto with power steering and manual drums. I'm doing bodywork now and brake work is next. While the 400 will stay for quite a while, ultimately I want the car to end up with a Hemi 4 spd and power brakes, and so would like to do brakes for the Hemi conversion now rather than later. I also want a solid FT cam, but am concerned about valve cover removal with the booster right there.

-thanks, Dan

RUNCHARGER

Reaction score
You could spend $1k or so to get a repro Hemi booster and bracket and still have pull it out of the way to set the valves. I've run manual disc brakes on my last two Hemi swap cars and it's the only way to go. Pedal effort is quite manageable and pedal feel is better than power brakes IMO.

1 year Challenger 014.JPG

73DAD

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply, guess I'm just SOL if I want power brakes AND solid lifters. Can't "have cake and eat it too" as they say...

As long as I've got your attention, how did you get your oil cap clocked the right way, are those repop valve covers? Whats the story on the fuel pressure regulator up front? Is that a Stage V or a marine style dual quad intake?

RUNCHARGER

Reaction score
You can have the PB, I personally just don't think it's worth it.
I built the valvecovers myself from 69 covers. It's a Stage V intake. I hated the fuel pressure regulator up there, I changed it a couple of times. I ended up with the gauge coming off a t to the front carb with the gauge facing forward. The regulator kind of where it is but with two outlets (one feeding each carb). The Shaker makes fitting everything in tough. I built my own baseplate for the aircleaner too and that was also a tough job.

Sheldon

Steve340

Reaction score
If you are not to concerned about original you can look at electric brake systems.
Not sure how they work.
I have heard they work very well and may suit what you want to do.

AUSTA

Reaction score
Anybody out there running solids in a hemi with power brakes in an E-body?

My 71 rt is currently a 400 auto with power steering and manual drums. I'm doing bodywork now and brake work is next. While the 400 will stay for quite a while, ultimately I want the car to end up with a Hemi 4 spd and power brakes, and so would like to do brakes for the Hemi conversion now rather than later. I also want a solid FT cam, but am concerned about valve cover removal with the booster right there.

-thanks, Dan
Theres always the hydroboost quite a slim fit running with kelsey front standard disk with 11" finned drum rear

20161218_120048 (2).jpg

20170227_121148 (2).jpg

Back