• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Consensus on disc brake upgrades?

elnielsen

Reaction score
Hello All,

I got pulled aside about driving around on on my factory finned front brake drums. It's been years.. (it hasn't been driving until now anyways), but cheapest fix -> buy any old two new drums. Which I haven't done, and leads into do a brake conversion.

The three options are the Hydroboost conversion (I'm rooting for; but requires fab and no extensive do this do that write-ups), Cordoba conversion (this has been around a long time and I'm not even sure Cordoba replacement parts are available any longer), and the drum to disc conversion kits on SummitRacing.com (my brother is rooting for because it will be *should be* plug & play).

Shall I throw in the towel and do a summit conversion kit? It's a 71 Barracuda with a freshened 318 for now, I completely rebuilt the stock front suspension (should have upgraded), and did do new new torsion springs and lowered it. It's stock all four drums and it works as intended but we all need more stopping power.

Thank you!!

Last edited:

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
I like th Cordoba swap , 11.75" rotors with easy to get calipers & mounts from Dr Diff + Hydroboost or even just manual brakes .

tonysrt

Reaction score
I've have bought Cordoba rotors from Rock Auto. I did that conversion on my 71 Cuda probably 20 years ago.

duster340

Reaction score
I went with a Summit manuel disc brake setup on my 70 sixpack roadrunner. Purchased the complete kit and it really was just a bolt on. Stops great!!! Installed easy, I chose manuel because the power brake boosters look so wrong. The master cylinder doesnt look 100% but its not too bad.The adjustable proprotion valve I installed in the juntion block location under drivers seat frame rail its hidden and I didnt have to adjust as the factory adjustment was excellent. The only area to watch is when turning steering wheel lock to lock there was an area where caliper just touched the shock, barely but it did touch. Just a light hit with disc sander or die grinder and perfect. This setup stops so much better than the drums. Peddle feels just like a manuel drum brake car, very high but stops excellent. I wouldnt hesatate to use this kit again.

duster340

Reaction score
20230630_182428.jpg

moparleo

Reaction score
Try to stay with a Mopar conversion. Get everything including master and prop valve. Staying with Mopar spec'd parts makes it easier to service and to find compatible parts . After market conversions tend to have problems and are harder to sort because the service manuals only cover the factory parts,

Xcudame

Reaction score

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
I went with the factory 11.75" set up. Chrysler put a lot more $$$$$ research and engineering into it than I would, and I think any after market co. The only thing with the 11.75 rotors you need to use 15" or larger wheels.

20180924_172845.jpg

Back