• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Hi - New here

Max Wedge

Reaction score
Hi - just joined - thanks for letting me on.

Mine is a 1970 Challenger R/T.
Was a white ext/green interior/top, 383 auto, PS, PB, air, rallye dash, 6 way seat car. Factory tinted glass. Kinda wierd colour combo.
Built in LA Plant, Nov 69 build.

Currently has a '73 440 w/Hooker headers, 915 heads, Holley 1030 3 barrel, TTI 3" pipes, A518 trans, 3.91 gears

Last edited:

fasjac

Reaction score
Welcome to the site from Arkansas! Sounds like a well optioned car. I haven’t seen a white with green before. Is that what the fender tag says, if you have it or decoded it. Would like to see some pics when you have time. Glad you joined up.

Max Wedge

Reaction score
Thanks, all.

Externals aren't much to look at.

Fender tag and broadcast sheet long gone too, I'm afraid.
The only documentation it has is the VIN tag, door tag and the matching stamps on the cowl and rad support.
That might seem a shame, but I kinda bought it for those reasons.
I wanted a real R/T that I wouldn't get any grief about modifying (reasonably).

Interior was a mix of factory green, later tan door panels (plastic pull cups on the handles) and black, all sprayed black...a real mess.
The R/T hood was mangled too.

thumbnail_20201011_101245_resized.jpg

20201011_101019_resized.jpg

Last edited:

fasjac

Reaction score
Not to be ashamed. That’s a good looking Challenger. 👍 Do it anyway you like!

Max Wedge

Reaction score
Oh, I'm not ashamed, but thanks. I literally brought it back from the dead. Plan is to sort this as a driver while I get my 68 charger shell sorted out.

Last season got the car genuinely driveable. Rebuilt the A/C/heater box, sorted out the window regs and adjustments.

Just threw on a set of NOS center caps.
Got a NOS front pan, AMD rear, full interior panels and hardware, headliner etc going in shortly.
I have a factory AM/FM radio getting rebuilt with modern internals and 3 speaker dash parts (was a single speaker) and a bunch of dash trim
Has a 72 up rallye cluster with a tach and clock conversion (the original was hacked up with aftermarket gauges). Post 70 black console too (the ash tray at the rear is almost as useless as the seat belt holder on the 70 console)
Dash pad look like a dry lake bed, but will have to wait till the fall.

Oh yeah - 73 up spindles and 11.75 brakes. Manual brakes with a 76 F body NOS master cylinder
Steering is a large pinion manual box with an NOS 20:1 chuck
Made my own leaf spring hangers to move the rear axle forward 1/2".
We built a controller for the A518 but are still sorting that. 2 toggle switches run the OD and converter for now.

Last edited:

fasjac

Reaction score
Oh, I'm not ashamed. I literally brought it back from the dead. Plan is to sort this as a driver while I get my 68 charger shell sorted out.

Last season got the car genuinely driveable. Rebuilt the A/C/heater box, sorted out the window regs and adjustments.

Just threw on a set of NOS center caps.
Got a NOS front pan, AMD rear, full interior panels and hardware, headliner etc going in shortly.
I have a factory AM/FM radio getting rebuilt with modern internals and 3 speaker dash parts (was a single speaker) and a bunch of dash trim
Very nice Max Wedge! That’s a cool ass car.
I’m currently looking for an am/fm for my 73 cuda. I can only find what looks to need refurbished for 6-800 bucks. I’m still looking😊 AND I even had one out of my 70 se challenger so many years ago, I just cannot find it.

Max Wedge

Reaction score
Very nice Max Wedge! That’s a cool ass car.
I’m currently looking for an am/fm for my 73 cuda. I can only find what looks to need refurbished for 6-800 bucks. I’m still looking😊 AND I even had one out of my 70 se challenger so many years ago, I just cannot find it.
The one I got was a 72 up off of eBay a few weeks back for 229.00. It popped up and I grabbed it on the spot. I got chrome pushbuttons for it on Bay too.
Not cheap but cheap for the course. Probably a shame you didn't grab it first. I'm afraid its already on the operating table.

The conversion is expensive but maybe about the same as the new repro bluetooth ones. But there is a 12+ week leadtime for those....

If you need the stock guts out of mine, they'll be up for grabs when I get it back. Could maybe be used to bring a stocker back to life. Not sure if it worked and I didn't want to know. I'd just feel worse for gutting it.

fasjac

Reaction score
All good. I look from time to time. I put a JVC in mine back in the 90’s. So the hole is filled, just want a factory looking unit. May I ask who you are using for the upgrade?
Thanks

Max Wedge

Reaction score
All good. I look from time to time. I put a JVC in mine back in the 90’s. So the hole is filled, just want a factory looking unit. May I ask who you are using for the upgrade?
Thanks
At least you won't have as hard a time as I will trying to find a 1970 AM/FM for a B-Body.

Mr. Heaterbox in Harrowsmith, Ontario is a dealer for the Aurora conversions. Aurora has a bunch of dealers on their site.

A friend just had his 71 AMX radio done there and was very pleased. They were very patient with all my questions before I committed to the job.

Getting full AM/FM, digital radio, aux/USB in, 4x45 watt power. I skipped the bluetooth option. I'll put a USB and 1/8" jack in the console.
Infinity Reference speakers in the dash and deck with a harness made up of OEM 1970 connectors and period-ish looking wire. Not stock but not conspicuously aftermarket looking. I don't think I'll need an outboard amp, but not out of the question.

Last edited:

fasjac

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. That sounds really good! Again, thanks for sharing.

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
Welcome to Febo from Panama !
I love the 3 barrel Holleys & have 2 of them , was thinking about a dual 4 bbl intake & calling it a 6 pack LOL .
love the flat black look with the TA hood !

Max Wedge

Reaction score
Welcome to Febo from Panama !
I love the 3 barrel Holleys & have 2 of them , was thinking about a dual 4 bbl intake & calling it a 6 pack LOL .
love the flat black look with the TA hood !
Thanks!
I have 3; a pair of 1030s and a 950. A pair on a crossram would be a hoot.

I'll probably paint the car back its original white when everything else is done...and lose all its character. It seems to get more attention than candy perfect cars sometimes.

Max Wedge

Reaction score
Yes you probably did see me in Erin. Most likely at the Legion Show every August.
How long have you had the Challenger?
A few years now. I think we might have spoken there. Had American draglites on it then - sold em off for what's on it now.

Back