• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

High Charging Voltage

money pit

Reaction score
I installed a electronic ignition conversion kit from Mancini Racing. I noticed when the engine is cold (fast idle), the system is charging at 18 volts. When the idle comes down, it charges at 15 volts. Before the conversion it was charging a little under 14 volts. I grounded the ECU directly to a ground from the battery. If I need to change the voltage regulator should I go to source like Classic Industries, Year One, etc. or go to an auto parts store. Thanks.

70chall440

Reaction score
The electronic ignition conversion should not have any effect on your charging system assuming you wired it as per the instructions. This sounds like a voltage regulator (VR) issue. Up to you where you get one but personally I would source it locally, much easier to return when it goes bad or doesn't work. IMO they are all made pretty much in the same place, however some do have better QC than others (NAPA..) and there is a guy online that has an adjustable VR. I get mine at the local O'Reillys.

themechanic

Reaction score
I thought I had an over charging problem once. Turned out to be the adjustable voltage meter. Checked at the battery with a multimeter and adjusted the voltage meter accordingly.

money pit

Reaction score
The electronic ignition conversion should not have any effect on your charging system assuming you wired it as per the instructions. This sounds like a voltage regulator (VR) issue. Up to you where you get one but personally I would source it locally, much easier to return when it goes bad or doesn't work. IMO they are all made pretty much in the same place, however some do have better QC than others (NAPA..) and there is a guy online that has an adjustable VR. I get mine at the local O'Reillys.
I followed the installation exactly. I'll check with the local O'Reilly. Thanks

money pit

Reaction score
I thought I had an over charging problem once. Turned out to be the adjustable voltage meter. Checked at the battery with a multimeter and adjusted the voltage meter accordingly.
I checked it at the battery, same as the voltmeter in the car. Thanks

money pit

Reaction score
I replaced the voltage regulator, no change.

casper

Reaction score
I'm having ,some what the same issue. Mine is at 17volts. I replaced the voltage regulator. No change. I suggest that you have your alternator tested to eliminate it from the equation. After that test the votage to it, the wite to the vr and proceed back. Mine has 10.5v. Going to the alternator and vr. Which is telling them to increase alternator output to charge the battery. My battery is at 12.5 v creating an overcharge. When you hit 12.5v. The issue should be that component or between it and the next one.

Avalanche

Reaction score
I had the same problem 18v. Bought a new vr and still at 16v. Got my hands on a original vr, 12v. My problem was that even the new vr's were not any good.

Cratos

Reaction score
be sure you have a good ground to the block from the fire wall. grounds are always a problem.

Cratos

Reaction score
try a ground direct from the reg to the block I daisy chained reg ecu to block just to make sure

Back