• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

High pressure power steering hose

coggers24

Reaction score
The high pressure power steering hose in my 1970 challenger 318 has sprung a pretty decent leak and I want to replace it. Problem is the original chrysler/federal pump has been replaced at some point with a 'TRW/Thompson' pump. Vendors sell the hose for the federal pump for a few bucks but the fitting at the pump end of the hose is a male O-ring-- this won't work on the Thompson pump as the hose fitting is flared with no O-ring (see pic, the o-ring fitting on left is for the federal pump but I need the flared fitting on the right). The hose I want to replace has a chrysler part number on one end-2891227 then 95165. It has a 5/16 flare at the steering box end and a 3/8 flare at the pump end. Anyone know where I buy this hose? Hardly any vendors mention Thompson pumps, only Federal or Saginaw.

Cheers

steeringhose.jpg

moparleo

Reaction score
My best advice would be to find the local hosemaker or large automotive a/c company in your area and have them replace the hose and reuse the ends. Very common practice on older vehicles that need hydraulic or a/c hoses replaced that are no longer available new. Generally very inexpensive to have done.

Last edited:

coggers24

Reaction score
Yep, that's the easiest thing to do, I don't think I'll find this hose elsewhere.

Cheers

Back