• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Hood Latch

Fox Slaughter

Reaction score
I have a T handle inside release hood and latch. My hood wouldn't close fully on the driverside front. When I took the spring off the latch that applies tension to the hood it closes right. So I checked the latch and it's sloppy and loose. The only ones I can find are outside release and you have to buy the whole support instead of just the latch. Anyone help?

Also I broke a bolt off in the hood taking the striker (I guess that's what you'd call it) off. Anyone have ideas to get it out? Can't grab it with vise grips. Probably going to drill it and try to use a bolt extractor.

Canuck74

Reaction score
If just one side isn't closing properly that to me says something wrong with the fitment or one of the hood springs, although a sloppy hood latch sure isn't going to help.

Fox Slaughter

Reaction score
If you look at the driver side you can see its up.

The passenger hinge I can push down when the hood is closed to make it sit flush where it should.

Otherwise it's lined up everywhere.

image_1429234093994.jpg

Canuck74

Reaction score
I'm not sure how popular of an option it was so it may not be reproduced. A lucky junkyard find or on ebay might be an option if you want to replace it outright. I would be surprised if the inside and outside release weren't identical in their makeup so parts would interchange. I know my inside release the cable runs direct to the latch like on a modern car, outside may do the same thing but with a few additional parts.

Fox Slaughter

Reaction score
Yes the cable attaches to a lever on the latch. I put the old latch back in and adjusted low as it would go. The hood is closer now on the driverside but still not perfect. I'll have to keep playing around with it. Hinges seem to have some play so might end up swapping those out.

Fox Slaughter

Reaction score
Well I got it closer but I just read a write up about moving the hinges up to move the back of the hood down and will move the front of the hood down. Will need a second set of hands to attempt.

Fox Slaughter

Reaction score
Shhhhh yes that's the info I got.

The hood isn't even touching the bump stops.

The latch is adjusted low as it will go so the only thing I can think is bring the back of the hinges up which will force the front down.

challenger6pak

Reaction score
According to your first post, it has to be a bad latch or a bent stricker. Otherwise it would not fit right without the spring.

aussiemark

Reaction score
Well I got it closer but I just read a write up about moving the hinges up to move the back of the hood down and will move the front of the hood down. Will need a second set of hands to attempt.
Sometimes you lift the hinge at the front and lower the hinge at the back and that will make the back edge of the hood sit lower as you are adjusting slowly lower the hood and look for any signs of the hood flexing at all this means it is pushing an edge against a bumper or seal. When I do adjustments I remove the seals, bumpers and latches or strikers (on doors) get the panel gaps as close to perfect as possible then deal with the other bits.

Last edited:

Fox Slaughter

Reaction score
I think im going to order new hinges and start with that. They feel sloppy. My k5 has the same set up and the hinges feel tock solid.

FY170T

Reaction score
I would give it a twist in the opposite direction.A little at a time.

Fox Slaughter

Reaction score
Well haven't tired anything yet. Does anyone know who sells the springs?
If driving at 50+ the hood on the driverside will lift up like an inch pass the fender.

challenger6pak

Reaction score
If that is in the rear it is bad hinges. The springs won't make much or any difference.

Back