• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Hood Pins

KennyCuda

Reaction score
Can someone advise from the factory if your car had hood pins did the pins go straight in or did they go in sideways. Ive seen people have it both ways but what was factory correct

/sixchall

Reaction score
Kenny,

E1A7FC80-8538-4A8A-8539-2072F19B9F2E.jpeg

KennyCuda

Reaction score
Thanks but did the pins go straight in or were they pinned sideways. Was the hood pin hole facing the front of the car or side of the car. I have local guys that tell me both ways but it has to be one way that Chrysler did it as a option

/sixchall

Reaction score
Kenny, just some more info on hood pins from 1970 Dodge Challenger specs. You’ll notice there was a mention of a fore and aft positioning of the hood pins. Yes, I have also seen many both ways for someone who is stymied by this for authenticity it can be maddening. A personal note my pins on my power bulge hood have been to the side, this is personal. Thanks, Al

9009BBC2-63AE-4394-80E0-18D6D738C9E7.jpeg

terrywalker

Reaction score
My 71 Challenger did not come with hood pins on the shaker hood from the factory. I installed them in 1972 after someone tried to steal the shaker setup in a public parking lot at night. They had it partially unbolted and must have been scared off. I put small padlocks in the holes instead of the pins themselves. No more problems.
Terry

/sixchall

Reaction score
Terry, sounds like something that happened to me back in the day. While my Challenger still had its flat hood, my wife and I lived in an apt. In the LA area in the 70’s,I use to park the car on the street, during one night someone opened my hood and ripped out my new maintenance free JCPenney battery, cutting the battery cables. I bought some hood pins at Pep Boys mounted them on the rad support and used small pad locks, no more problems. Except when some kids ripped of my radio antenna and had a sword fight.

KennyCuda

Reaction score
I was at a local car show the other day and a guy was telling me my hood pins should go in sideways but of all the cars I've owned with hood pins they always went front to back so that how i keep it.

/sixchall

Reaction score
Kenny, see what I mean. If you don’t properly research something you won’t know. I would’ve smiled and said “thank you” maybe even asked why he thought this and that I would look into it. I’ve been asked if the power bulge hood actually came from the factory installed on my Slant6 70 Challenger. I’d tell them No, this is my own whimsy, and besides I made a hellova deal on it. Thanks, Al

KennyCuda

Reaction score
He said that how it came unless he bought one new how would he know for sure. Ive always seen it straight on but that me i figure its my car not his and i put it as i like right :rofl:

/sixchall

Reaction score
Kenny, I fully agree with you. Build it as you like it.
Thanks, Al

Raycuda

Reaction score
He said that how it came unless he bought one new how would he know for sure. Ive always seen it straight on but that me i figure its my car not his and i put it as i like right :rofl:
I am the original owner of a 1970'cuda 340. My hood pins came from the factory front to back, and not side to side.

sxpckcuda

Reaction score
IMO The factory hood pins should lay flat, front to back, Lanyards should have one black phosphate eyelet and one natural steel eyelet.

sxpckcuda

Reaction score
LOL, push in from front towards the back,oh and it looks like your missing your lanyards.

KennyCuda

Reaction score
Thanks for the info i thought it was front to back but this guy at the car show is telling me I'm wrong

MoparCarGuy

Reaction score
Pins are installed with hole fore and aft. The round portion of each clip faces outboard. In other words, each clip's round portion faces to the fender. Diagram is for both B (Barracuda) and J (Challenger) models.

Hood Pins Drawing B and J Models.jpg

Hood Pins Drawing B and J Models_Closeup.jpg

Last edited:
Back