• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Hot Rod Power Tour 2020

plymouth67

Reaction score
To anyone interested...The wife and I will be doing part of the Hot Rod power tour this year as it is swinging by my neck of the woods. I figured i would put up a place for people to say if they are going and what leg you will be doing, this way if some of us want to meet up, have a drink, or just shoot the **** it can be done. Post a picture of the car you will be in so we know what to look for.

I will start...We will be doing Champaign Il to Davenport Ia. We will be taking the e body and spending the night in Davenport then driving back home the next day. A couple friends will be joining us so if you see these 2 cars (maybe another one), say hi!!

Anybody else??

20190906_161204.jpg

IMG952181.jpg

plymouth67

Reaction score
Just to keep anybody interested in the know...I have already switched my hotel dates...I hope to see you there!!!

51660.jpeg

Drivun

Reaction score
Was scheduled to take 72 Challenger on its 3rd Long Haul (my 12th) with my daughter in her 72 El Camino (13 long hauls), but new dates conflict with prior commitments with family. Allow time to get some memorable pics of cars in front of the original American Pickers building in Davenport - visitors went nuts taking shots when we drove the El Camino and my 66 Vette into the courtyard by the old Hudson. Shout out if you want some tips.

plymouth67

Reaction score
Was scheduled to take 72 Challenger on its 3rd Long Haul (my 12th) with my daughter in her 72 El Camino (13 long hauls), but new dates conflict with prior commitments with family. Allow time to get some memorable pics of cars in front of the original American Pickers building in Davenport - visitors went nuts taking shots when we drove the El Camino and my 66 Vette into the courtyard by the old Hudson. Shout out if you want some tips.
You wont be going at all now?

Drivun

Reaction score
Unlikely as we are supposed to be in Canada at a wedding during the end of the tour assuming the border reopens ( currently closed til June 21).

If it doesn’t reopen by then, it will be due to ongoing concerns with covid 19. In which case we wouldn’t want to be staying in hotels and eating take out for breakfast, lunch and dinner!

Best case is no covid and I drive my 2019 Bullitt FROM ATL for first 3 days of tour and buzz up to Canada in it on Wednesday. Hotels booked whole route just in case but I’m taking covid seriously since we almost lost one family member to it.

It’s a really great time and I encourage everyone to at least do a few days of it, with long hauling being the ultimate accomplishment in an older car.

NixDad

Reaction score
I would never do the Tour again.
What I would do is park my car and camp chair with a cooler on the side of the road that the tour is taking and watch all the cars go by. That is the best part.
The locations end up having the same 'Hot Rod-ish' displays and aftermarket companies that I just am not that interested in. At least, not interested enough to drive a thousand miles or more.
For an organization as large as Hot Rod (Petersen Publishing), and an event that has been going on for years, it all comes across amateurish.

Drivun

Reaction score
Last year for the first time in 12 long hauls, we did exactly that and ate lunch while the cars rolled by. It was fun and relaxing. We finally got to experience the nostalgia that all those people in small towns saw when we drove thru.
And yes , the "stage " is amateur-ish and the 7 days of manufacturers displays are repetiitive.

plymouth67

Reaction score
I would never do the Tour again.
What I would do is park my car and camp chair with a cooler on the side of the road that the tour is taking and watch all the cars go by. That is the best part.
The locations end up having the same 'Hot Rod-ish' displays and aftermarket companies that I just am not that interested in. At least, not interested enough to drive a thousand miles or more.
For an organization as large as Hot Rod (Petersen Publishing), and an event that has been going on for years, it all comes across amateurish.
The wife and I have not done it so, we are just doing a small part of it. We will see how this goes. I hear good and bad things about it...

Drivun

Reaction score
However, the real benefit of the power tour is that its not about a static car show. Its about interaction with people and the country. That's why 26 yrs ago the editors of Hot Rod left the safety of LA and headed cross country to meet their non-Angelino readers. To this day, there are many aspects of the tour to enjoy - a you-choose buffet of gearhead selections that may or may not grab your interest. Frieberger always started the tour saying "its your vacation - do what you want". Some people do the route but never even go to the venues!

- The driving - HRPT works hard to find rural roads that are a fun place to exercise your toy, even though some interstate transit in necessary to have a decent arrival time. We've tried auto cross and drag racing - both non-competitive events and both things we never get time to do at home.

- The participants - We meet great down to earth people who are car minded, but represent a diversity of experience, backgrounds and interests. They exchange ideas and help keep each others cars on the road. Everyone wants everyone to get to the venue safely each day...to succeed. We have many friends from Texas, Iowa, Canada etc that we now hook up with along the tour to have a beer and get caught up with... talking cars, family, music. country and life.

- The spectators - Those of us in pre 80s cars are piloting time machines, bringing thousands along the roads back in time to their youth. And inspiring thousands of younger adults and children towards their future. My wife comes from a town of 600, and seeing 6000 hot rods coming thru their village is a day of wonderment. When we stop for gas , all the locals want to meet you, reminisce and learn about your car and the trip. Its not every day you meet so many THIS IS THE BEST PART of HRPT, IMO.

plymouth67

Reaction score
However, the real benefit of the power tour is that its not about a static car show. Its about interaction with people and the country. That's why 26 yrs ago the editors of Hot Rod left the safety of LA and headed cross country to meet their non-Angelino readers. To this day, there are many aspects of the tour to enjoy - a you-choose buffet of gearhead selections that may or may not grab your interest. Frieberger always started the tour saying "its your vacation - do what you want". Some people do the route but never even go to the venues!

- The driving - HRPT works hard to find rural roads that are a fun place to exercise your toy, even though some interstate transit in necessary to have a decent arrival time. We've tried auto cross and drag racing - both non-competitive events and both things we never get time to do at home.

- The participants - We meet great down to earth people who are car minded, but represent a diversity of experience, backgrounds and interests. They exchange ideas and help keep each others cars on the road. Everyone wants everyone to get to the venue safely each day...to succeed. We have many friends from Texas, Iowa, Canada etc that we now hook up with along the tour to have a beer and get caught up with... talking cars, family, music. country and life.

- The spectators - Those of us in pre 80s cars are piloting time machines, bringing thousands along the roads back in time to their youth. And inspiring thousands of younger adults and children towards their future. My wife comes from a town of 600, and seeing 6000 hot rods coming thru their village is a day of wonderment. When we stop for gas , all the locals want to meet you, reminisce and learn about your car and the trip. Its not every day you meet so many THIS IS THE BEST PART of HRPT, IMO.
And to me...that sounds AWESOME!!!

Drivun

Reaction score
- the scenery - If you love America, driving rural roads and going thru small towns will give you a great look back to our roots. The old manufacturing sites, mills, gas stations, bridges, downtowns are a great step back to the times when or cars were built - before interstate travel was the norm. We hit up local breweries, pubs, diners and unique restaurants to get the full experience. McDonalds and Applebees are only plan B.

- the cars - As a all round gearhead, this was the reason I initially went on the tour, but oddly its now the least on my list. Many cars are amazing. You can learn a lot from the builds. And its impressive that so many are capable of doing 250-350 mile drives in a day. i skip the stage show, see the vendors on a couple of days, and usually commit time at 3 or 4 venues to walk the car lots to learn and meet participants.

I have encouraged all my friends to do the tour, try the long haul at least once. My daughter and I have each done it once in a newer rodded car ( Dakota and a C6 vette) and felt less connected But done in an older car it can be a lot of fun and provoke personal insight

Wishing success to all who try!
Steve

Drivun

Reaction score
Important, for those considering please note the most recent revised Aug 23-29 route is now in jeopardy.
Summit Motorsporst Park was the start of the tour on Aug 23rd and the Park just announced it will remain closed for the rest of 2020. Lost 83% of its revenue this far and cant effectively manage events with social distancing requirements. Power Tour still says Norwalk OH start with venue TBD, but chances are they may need a new start city. Or they may just give up and cancel. Time will tell.

Back