• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Hot Wire

Mopaw

Reaction score
I have a 1970 Cuda and the wire coming from the bulk head to the fuseable link (blue wire) that connects to the solenoid is getting real hot only when I turn on the headlights or just running lights on with the Ignition in the off position. It does not get hot with lights off, and car running. I have traced this wire and it goes to the ignition switch. I have just recently changed the ignition switch, so that may be ruled out as problem. (not really these days) Then I disconnected the amp gauge and connected the 2 wires together to see if that would help, but it didn't. I have checked all the grounds to the headlights and they seem to be doing the job. If I would leave the lights on for any length of time it would melt down.
What can be causing this?

Rapidfire

Reaction score
Welcome to FEBO! :) Was this a problem before you changed out your ignition switch? If not your new switch might be defective? Your solenoid is not getting regulated. I would disconnect my ignition switch from the harness below and then turn my lights on and see if the solenoid wire still get hot! Hopefully another member can give their opinion in as well! Again, welcome to the site and maybe if you could post a pic of your Cuda that would be great! :)

Mopaw

Reaction score
IMG_0391.JPG

Its a 340 stroked to 416 with a tremec 5 speed 391's fresh paint, I just recently put an AAR spoiler and rear window louver..

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
Welcome to the site from Panama
Beautiful Cuda !
Heat is only caused by resistance so you have resistance in that circuit , my first bet would be the firewall plugs but trace the whole circuit .
I have heard of problems with new ignition switches so that is a likely suspect as that is when things changed .
Jim @ JS Restorations can rebuild you original switch for you .
I highly recommend installing headlight relays as well like all modern cars use , this removes all of the load from the firewall plugs & factory switches & the lights have better power source so they run brighter .

Mopaw

Reaction score
I unplugged the white Ribbon connection wire cluster Under the dash that goes to the ignition and unplugged the blue ribbon connector under the dash going to the steering column and the wire still gets hot.

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
you do not have a dead short but you do have a high load to ground through the light circuit , could be a problem in the light switch or floor dimmer switch . Possibly something extra is connected into the headlight circuit .

Back