• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

How do I hook up a one-wire alternator in my 1970 Challenger?

dmc8163

Reaction score
I have a stock big block 1970 Dodge Challenger R/T. I'm installing a March Performance serpentine belt kit. The alternator included in the kit is a one-wire alternator. I have never seen one of these altnernators and have no idea of how to wire it up using my existing alternator wiring (3-wires). The one-wire also has a separate ground strap. Thanks for the help. dmc8163

The alternator is a Tuff Stuff 100amp Alternator 1 wire.

Last edited:

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
No instructions included ?
one wire would just be the heavy output wire , if the amperage is higher than 60 amp I would recommend running a from the alt output directly to the start relay battery terminal also , you may want to connect both of the ammeter wires to one terminal although the gauge will carry very little load with the jumper in place

dmc8163

Reaction score
Unfortunately for me the instructions say exactly what you do. Connect the "high output" wire and tape off the other wires. I was hoping someone could tell which wire in a Mopar electronic ignition engine harness was the high output wire. E.g., is it the wire running to the voltage regulator, the ballast resistor or what? Is it one of the two field wires or the remaining wire? I am going from a 60 amp to 100 amp alternator. If I understand correctly I should run a wire direct from the starter relay to the alternator. Connecting the ammeter wires together would require that I pull the dash. I can do that but I sure would like to avoid it. Thank you for taking the time to respond. Sorry to be such a ditz. Dave

moparleo

Reaction score
The high output wire would be the heaviest/thickest wire as it carries the heaviest load. Like Chryco Psycho says once you connect a heavy wire to the starter relay terminal, there will we less load going to the ammeter. So you don't have to disconnect the gauge.

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
true , the thick black wire is the only one you need to connect to the alt + the jumper from the alt output to the start realy battery terminal , use 10ga or better for the jumper

Cratos

Reaction score
yep do not run your high amp alt through the factory harness! it feeds it through the bulkhead connector and amp gauge. otherwise you'll burn out the connector and amp gauge( DO NOT DO IT been there done that NO FUN)

Back