• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

How to install 73 challenger rear valance

1mopar1

Reaction score
I have a 73 challenger without cutouts. I see that both ends attach to the lower trunk extensions and quarters, but how does it attach across the top portion and in the center area. I dont see any brackets in the middle area and nothing across the top. Any pictures would be great. Thanks doug

burdar

Reaction score
71-74 Used the same valance. Other then the studs/nuts at the ends, there is only 1 bracket in the middle that is welded to the valance. Two screws are used to hold it to the car.

1mopar1

Reaction score
Still need help

I would love for somone to post some pictures of the center brackets and how the valance attaches on the top and bottom. If they dont attach on top and bottom why is their 4 or 6 holes in the top of the valance and 2 holes in the bottom.

greenmonsta79

Reaction score
You have to take the bumper off if I recall correctly because those 2 screws at the top of the valance panel are right behind the bumper, the ends are just bolts 2 on each side, I will take some pics of my Challenger tomorrow afternoon and post them for you since my car is apart.

burdar

Reaction score
You've asked this question on multiple sites. I think I responed to the question in a few different places.

Have you figured this out yet? There is only one bracket and it is welded to the valance. There are extra holes in the valance but they aren't used. 1970 is the only year that used extra bolt-on brackets to hold the valance to the body.

Let me know if you still need a picture. I'll take one for you. I'm starting to think you have a 1970 valance and are trying to install it on your 73.

1mopar1

Reaction score
Went to a mopar swap meet and saw what you all are talking about. I do have a 70 valance Im putting on a 73, I bought a used 73 valance for 20.00 and am going to remove the center bracket and Install on my good valance.

Challengaaah

Reaction score
Yeah, if i didn't know what year valance i had and didn't know the differences between years, i would be lost on this as well! The 70 was quite unique in many areas compared to the others

hammer

Reaction score
Rear Valance

I had the same questions about the installation of the rear valance. AMD sells a pair of brackets that somehow mount the rear valance. But I have not found how and where they attach to the body. I am going the same route, using the old bracket from the junk valance and attaching it to the new one.

sir_veza

Reaction score
You've asked this question on multiple sites. I think I responed to the question in a few different places.

Have you figured this out yet? There is only one bracket and it is welded to the valance. There are extra holes in the valance but they aren't used. 1970 is the only year that used extra bolt-on brackets to hold the valance to the body.

Let me know if you still need a picture. I'll take one for you. I'm starting to think you have a 1970 valance and are trying to install it on your 73.
Happened to come across your post and thought it was relevant. (Don't often do it) but I did a really hard-start from stop burnout last fall and the rear bumper of my 74 seems very slightly loose on the right side only, but perhaps more toward the right center. My forte isn't bodywork etc. What's the best method to inspect/tighten the bolts? I'm assuming the valance needs to come off. Would you mind letting me have the step by step? Thanks in advance.

Rear Valance.jpg

Back