• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

How to remove heat riser inserts from exhaust manifold

ctaarman

Reaction score
I just picked up a NOS 340 exhaust manifold, only because I got it at less than the cost of a heat riser kit alone. I have a matched set of restored coated manifolds already, and want to simply remove the heat riser assembly from the one I just purchased and reinstall in my restored one.

I'm assuming that if I carefully use a torch to heat the manifold that I can get the heat riser shaft inserts out, so I can then install the inserts into my restored manifold. Am I on the right track, or is there a different preferred way?

floyd

Reaction score
Sorry, I can’t offer any info about removing but it seems logical to me to find another heat riser set up and install it in the NOS manifold. Why mess up the coated pair?

ctaarman

Reaction score
Sorry, I can’t offer any info about removing but it seems logical to me to find another heat riser set up and install it in the NOS manifold. Why mess up the coated pair?
Perhaps I wasn't clear. My coated pair doesn't have heat rise. I want to remove heat riser and reinstall into the correct, coated manifold. Yes I could have bought a kit, but I can sell my NOS manifold without its heat riser for as much as I paid for it with the heat riser = $140 savings.

floyd

Reaction score
Gotcha, I misunderstood. What year NOS manifold do you have? What’s the casting number and date code? I might be willing to buy it (cash plus a NOS heat riser kit) if you’re interested?

Adam

Reaction score
If not going for a 100 point resto, I would leave the heat riser out. It is a restriction, can stick shut, and is of very little benefit if you live in a reasonable climate. I live in Washington, very cold in the winter, and really don’t see the need for one. In fact I have a stuck one in my Carryall manifold that I have to deal with/remove.

ctaarman

Reaction score
If not going for a 100 point resto, I would leave the heat riser out. It is a restriction, can stick shut, and is of very little benefit if you live in a reasonable climate. I live in Washington, very cold in the winter, and really don’t see the need for one. In fact I have a stuck one in my Carryall manifold that I have to deal with/remove.
Thanks much for your note. Yes, I know the issues but I am going for a 100 pt resto.

Back