• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Howdy from Montana with vin question

Walt

Reaction score
Howdy folks, Ive used this site many times over the years for reference - its time to be a part of the community. Ive got several E bodies in the yard which actually belong to my son serving in the US Navy stationed in the middle east. Projects for him to work on when he comes back stateside.
I recently brought back a 73 Barracuda from back east. This car was gutted probably back in the 80's for a drag car and never made it any further than being taken apart. The dash vin is missing and the door has no tag. The last six digits are still visible on the cowl.

Is this car a hopeless cause for being a street car again missing the vin? My kid has talked about building a dedicated "Burnout Car" and this might become its fate. Have any of you ever dealt with missing vin tags and no other info such door tag or a build sheet to document the complete vin?

The car was given to us for the hauling - Its in decent shape considering how much the woods grew up around it.

Thank you
Walt

Mopar Nut

Reaction score
D3ADFE7D-0A9D-4E37-A879-202F22E89D91.jpeg

DetMatt1

Reaction score
Welcome to the site from the Motor City! Probably never be able to get its original vin back.

Walt

Reaction score
Thank you for the welcome and input. Ted I will look into a state issued vin - I had a friend do that on a home made T bucket. Like I said the car was free, and there was a lot of extra parts piled in it. It will be a few more years before my son is stateside again. A lot of time to ponder what to do with this project.
IMG_2380.JPG

Cuda Hunter

Reaction score
Some states will reissue a vin tag that is the same number as the original tag. I have one such car through Washington.
You can also get a vin tag made if you can prove ownership of said car.
You may need to go through a titling company to get a title. Then retitle in your state. Then you can prove ownership of said car.

Is there a fender tag?

moparlee

Reaction score
Hi Walt, welcome to the site from Michigan!
What part of the Big Sky Country are you from? I am originally from your neighbor to the east, ND.

Walt

Reaction score
Cuda Hunter - no fender tag as with this one.
Moparlee - I'm near the Miles City area. Did you ever travel down for the Deadwood SD august car shows?

moparlee

Reaction score
Cuda Hunter - no fender tag as with this one.
Moparlee - I'm near the Miles City area. Did you ever travel down for the Deadwood SD august car shows?
Been through Miles City on highway 12 a few times. I'm from the Hettinger area.
Never did make it down to Deadwood but have seen lots of cars heading that way one time when we were on I90.

Back