• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Hydro brake system

Makindust2

Reaction score
Hi anyone install one of these systems in your car? I was curious on where kit you used and if you liked the resolts.
Thanks In advance Skip

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
73 E Stroker & Brad have both installed them or are working on doing so , there are a couple of threads on CC about the swap , you have to have power steering to use it but it works great , Barry used a hydro boost from a wrecked Astro van & adapted it

Yatzee

Reaction score
I have, it's fantastic, easy to install and I will never go back to vacuum or manual. A 1998 Siverado 3500 had disk/drum
same as mine, weighed about the same and was diesel. I got the entire system for $130 at the wreckers, cleaned it up
and installed it. GM uses Saginaw pump with dual return ports for this model vehicle pump ( one for hydro, one for steering box). Conversion brackets for mounting $50. Used the same pin location on brake pedal and even the same Gatorback belt from the original setup. Use a system from a late 90's, early 2000's Astro or Saffari but you'll have
to change the master reservoir as they slant downwards on these vehicles. They do mount horizontal and can be rotated
180 degrees. These units are so adequate that the master bore of my system is 1 3/8 ensuring you'll always have a good volume of fluid to the brake cylinders. I shut the engine off while coasting and got three more braking cycles from the
spring/nitrogen cylinder and the fourth cycle was 50/50 power and manual. Bosch and Bendix did their homework on
this system. Try stopping with a blown diphram on a vacuum system which by the way I trashed.

Yatzee

Reaction score
I'll post a pic for you and if you need pointers or help, I'll be glad.

downtime!

Reaction score
I'd like to see some pics. I had the factory hydro system on an '03 Stang and it worked great.

Yatzee

Reaction score
Here's mine. Because it was off a HD diesel pickup it's somewhat larger than a unit off a Saffari or Astro. HPIM3688.jpgHPIM3687.jpgHPIM3686.jpg

HPIM3686.jpg

HPIM3687.jpg

HPIM3688.jpg

OKCCUDA

Reaction score
OK, I'm little lost here on the hydro boost type situation, so please fill me in. I take the return line from the PS pump, run it to another pump at the master/power brake booster mounting point..I guess it places positive pressure on a diphram that simplifies and amplifies the brake pedal...then places pressure on the master cylinder as needed........

My quesiton is: Will I need mounting modifications to the stock(E-body) manual brake master cylinder mounting point and plunger...how about the proportioning valve and does it make a diffrence if I'm running drums(10") all around or not........I thought upgrading the master cylinder to the larger / newer cylinder would be a good upgrade....this sounds.....pretty darn sweet, but with a scent of stinky GM all over it.....Thanks!!!! OKCCUDA

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
Yes you need an adapter to mount the unit to the firewall.
you Tee the pressure line to the PS & Hydro boost & tee the return line into the PS pump
Not really GM thing , the Astro van is usually easy to find in wreckers , but Dodge trucks have been running them for a long time also , much better / more consistant braking than vacuum assist .
The proportioning valve remains the same creating the same bias F & R just with better pressure assist into the master . a larger bore master will lessen pedal travel but increase effort but with hydro boost should be fine .

Back