• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

I made this for my Challenger whatcha think?

nervouswrecks

Reaction score
I'm wondering how to remove the steering shaft column bearing, just after removing the snap ring. I don't want to remove the column, but just get to the ignition switch. The factory manual refers to a Miller C-4044 tool, but this function seems for removing the steering shaft, which I hoped I would not have to do to get access to the ignition switch. Maybe all I need is more force to remove the column component with the bearing...

Tbone416

Reaction score
I'm wondering how to remove the steering shaft column bearing, just after removing the snap ring. I don't want to remove the column, but just get to the ignition switch. The factory manual refers to a Miller C-4044 tool, but this function seems for removing the steering shaft, which I hoped I would not have to do to get access to the ignition switch. Maybe all I need is more force to remove the column component with the bearing...
It can be tight. I don't have a good answer. I made a tool but it works better with the column out.

nervouswrecks

Reaction score
I bought a harmonic balance removal tool and matched the screw threads near the column bearing with 3 6" screws. I put 3 washers to hold the screws to the removal tool, as they are much smaller diameters that the balancer tool threads. Screw them into the 3 holes near the bearing assembly and work the tool as intended, which is like solving 4 equations at once to get the parts in contact while keeping the directions straight. You don't want to cross-thread the screw holes. Turn the center bolt clockwise and the bearing will pop out. Next, I have to get the pin out of the column to remove the ignition switch, which is all I wanted to do in the first place.

Back