• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

I want to rebuild my engine and need some opinions.

Benjamin Nelson

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I have a 72 challenger I blew the motor in about a year and a half ago. Now I am looking to rebuild it, Right now it is a 440 from a 67 Chrysler 300. Ran well when I pulled it from that old Chrysler but I was doing a burnout in my driveway and it started to make a weird noise, turns out it lost almost all compression in the number 7 cylinder. I want the car to be a mild street/strip deal, it is tubbed and has a shortened Dana 60 with a spool, 4 link, and 4.56 gears. I want to be able to run boost or nitrous later, but I am a high school student so my budget is fairly tight. I am looking for recommendations On if I should stick with the stock crank, what rods and pistons to get, what camshaft, heads, Intake manifold, and what I should do to the trans. It is a 727. I have never rebuilt an engine for so I am looking for some guidance here, not only for what parts to buy but how to install them as well.
Thanks
Oh and if someone has rear window handles I am looking for some.

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
Pull head to find out what happened. Or try your phone with a USB camera.look through spark plug hole for broken parts. This the only app available for this model. You may have to change you mind and your options.

moparleo

Reaction score
If you have not done one before, it is not a matter of just buying parts and putting them in. There is a lot of detail work and tools needed. Would be a drag to spend a lot of money on machine work and parts and not have good, clean running engine when you are done. Like anything else, there is no substitute for experience.
Buy a crate motor from a company like Blueprint engines. Quality parts, they dyno each engine and you can tell them what you are looking for in performance.
They can take the guesswork and added expense of buying the wrong stuff off your shoulders and build a good, guaranteed engine for you.

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
A 72 440 should have steel crank which will take all you can throw at it , but 440 Source can provide a 512 stroker kit for about the same cost as rebuilding the stock parts .
The best Street Strip intake is the Holley Street Dom which I port heavily , the M1 single plane is a better race intake .

Last edited:

Benjamin Nelson

Reaction score
I have never rebuilt an engine before but I am somewhat mechanically inclined. I am 16 right now and was a apprentice heavy duty mechanic for 2 years then a welder after that. I don’t think it will be that much of a challenger I just have never done it before. Is it worth it to port the factory iron heads? I have closed chamber 915s on there now.

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
915 were the best factory heads overall except for early Max wedge heads so yes I would work with the 915s until you can afford Trick Flow heads .

moparleo

Reaction score
Internal clearances are measure in .001 . Not the same as welding or doing brake service.
I learned to weld from my father when I was a teen and he was a Government Certified welder that worked on launching pads in the 50's. it took a long time to be proficient in welding . Point is there is a learning curve in anything you do that is new to you.
I rebuilt several lawnmower engines before I tried an automobile engine rebuild. The first engine smoked and ran like crap. I had also tried porting the heads.
I knew little about the effects of airflow or compression changes with combustion chamber work. Fortunately it was on a Chevy.
I had a very good Auto Shop teacher who took the time to follow me step by step and explain what everything did. We had a complete auto shop tool crib with everything needed to completely build a car from the frame up.
You can't fake experience you have to earn it. You will make mistakes. We all have. Learn to walk before you run.
Get a junkyard engine and practice on it. Just like when you practiced on scrap metal when learning to weld. That way you don't ruin something of value.
And when you are confident enough then spend your hard earned money and hopefully have a good result.
Besides a positive attitude, do your research, get service manuals, acquire good quality tools, have a good assistant, have a clean organized work area. Find a good machine shop, and take your time to do it right.
Good luck, we were all 16 at one time.

rmjmaddog

Reaction score
Two ways to learn! Go to school and pay tuition or go to the school of hard knocks (pun intended) and pay your way as you go both cost money no avoiding it.

Steve340

Reaction score
I agree with Challenger RTA. Go buy a few books and learn how to rebuild an engine.
An American V8 engine is actually relatively simple engine design and well documented for the DIY person.

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
The one thing you can do is remove valve cover. You will see a set up simular to this. then loosen bolts that hold down rocker arm shaft. lift rocker shaft straight up and off. careful not turn shaft over and loose bolts and washer in side head! Next use any straight edge.ruler or level anything. the springs all should be the same height. You might see a broken spring. Might be an easy fix to get it running right again. Keep a magnet handy my come in handy.

Attachments

• 20200205_153732.jpg
    20200205_153732.jpg
    663.2 KB · Views: 142

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
Valve tips should be the same height as well if there is a bent valve it will be lower .

Back