• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Idle RPM Increases When Engine Hot

Dave Darke

Reaction score
Hello. I am driving a 74 Barracuda with a 340 auto. Holley 650 double pumper carb. My idle increases when the engine warms up ? I was told this may be a vacuum leak ?

Carb adjustment ?

Thanks ! Happy New Year !

moper

Reaction score
When was the Holley last rebuilt and properly tuned? Does it have a choke? Electric or manual?

moparleo

Reaction score
If you want to check for vacuum leaks SAFELY, first is after it is warmed up slowly block off the airhorn with your hand. If it wants to idle faster, you have a leak. Second, take a spray bottle filled with WATER, not any flammable liquid. The whole point with this is to get a change in rpm. Start at the base plate and slowly work your way around the base and then move to the throttle blade/linkage area. If you have a leak, the rpm will drop. Also check the PCV by blocking the open end with your finger. If you have power brakes, check the valve/hose at the Booster. Both open and blocked off. This should keep you busy. Is it a problem idling in gear ? Does it diesel when you shut it off after running a while ? Do you know the proper way to adjust the idle air/fuel screws ?
how to adjust the idle on a holley carburetor - Bing video

Dave Darke

Reaction score
If you want to check for vacuum leaks SAFELY, first is after it is warmed up slowly block off the airhorn with your hand. If it wants to idle faster, you have a leak. Second, take a spray bottle filled with WATER, not any flammable liquid. The whole point with this is to get a change in rpm. Start at the base plate and slowly work your way around the base and then move to the throttle blade/linkage area. If you have a leak, the rpm will drop. Also check the PCV by blocking the open end with your finger. If you have power brakes, check the valve/hose at the Booster. Both open and blocked off. This should keep you busy. Is it a problem idling in gear ? Does it diesel when you shut it off after running a while ? Do you know the proper way to adjust the idle air/fuel screws ?
how to adjust the idle on a holley carburetor - Bing video
Thanks Moparleo. Yes it does diesel when I shut it off. I will do these checks.

Much appreciated !!

dadeo1852

Reaction score
Also seen where distributor advance weights were not returning completely when hot (weak spring) and snapping the throttle would be enough to bring advance back down therefore idle. (just in case carb checks out)

Back