• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

71 challenger 383 engine rebuild

Ralph

Reaction score
Had my engine rebuilt and dyno tested at Carolina Machine Engines for a street performance engine. Third one done there and I like them, good quality work and good people.

Performance rebuild, I told them what cam I wanted and they did not think it would make alot of HP. Told them I wanted low to mid range driving so I wanted it peppy.

After the dyno, they told me my combo was making good power. Edelbrock RPM / Lunati Voodoo 702 cam, 650 Edelbrock AVS 2. Thanks to Neil telling me this was a good street cam and he was right, have this cam in both of my cars now.

dyno test - peak torque at 435 and peak horsepower at 407 with my quick fuel 650 carb. Vacuum at 17 for my power brakes.

So I am a happy camper, hope to get it running in the next month.

The air /fuel ration at 11.6 is rich tells me the carb is too small, engine builder recommends a 750 to 800 cfm.

What do you guys recommend for mostly street driving - idle to 4000 rpm around town.

By the way thanks to Neil and you guys that helped me along the way.

Ralph

Ralph

Reaction score
383 - 60 over around 400 cubic inch so 800 CFM sound right ? maybe 40 over not sure.

thanks for your help !

fasjac

Reaction score
Had my engine rebuilt and dyno tested at Carolina Machine Engines for a street performance engine. Third one done there and I like them, good quality work and good people.

Performance rebuild, I told them what cam I wanted and they did not think it would make alot of HP. Told them I wanted low to mid range driving so I wanted it peppy.

After the dyno, they told me my combo was making good power. Edelbrock RPM / Lunati Voodoo 702 cam, 650 Edelbrock AVS 2. Thanks to Neil telling me this was a good street cam and he was right, have this cam in both of my cars now.

dyno test - peak torque at 435 and peak horsepower at 407 with my quick fuel 650 carb. Vacuum at 17 for my power brakes.

So I am a happy camper, hope to get it running in the next month.

The air /fuel ration at 11.6 is rich tells me the carb is too small, engine builder recommends a 750 to 800 cfm.

What do you guys recommend for mostly street driving - idle to 4000 rpm around town.

By the way thanks to Neil and you guys that helped me along the way.

Ralph
Great cam! Nice advice Chryco.

Back