• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

ignition module

all original

Reaction score
HI all
I have a few days off work so id thought I would try to build a new ignition module from an old mopar box and add a performance gm HEI module inside. Why you might ask, well there a few reasons. One I've heard that the new orange boxes are not very good, and the gm HEI can take more current and give a hotter spark, and I want to see if I can get it to work. Anyway I'm still having some issues with my car and I want to see if this will improve it. I will post more pics when I start to assemble I painted the box and will have it let it dry.
IMG_5140.JPG

Avalanche

Reaction score
That sounds interesting. And your right the orange boxes are hit or miss.
I had a couple fail within a few months.

DetMatt1

Reaction score
Me too, the orange box I bought last year is junk and I was going to swap it out with a chrome.

Avalanche

Reaction score
I just changed to the FBO ignition.
Works great and don't need the ballast resister and has a built in Rev limiter

72tpi

Reaction score
The module you have is okay but the module needs btw 800-1500 ohm resistant pick up coil which is inside the GM Distributor. Within the distributor the coil has two wires which hooks up to the module for signal. The Chrysler distributor coil's resistance only has between 290-500 ohm, which is not enough to excite the GM module. The engine will idle but if you increase the rpm it will misfire and make the engine rattle and not drivable. I know this for a fact because I tried this in 1988-89. The best result is if you transfer the GM distributor internal parts into the Chrysler distributor housing. I did that and my car ran good with tpi injection system from the 90's and I haven't had a problem since. The spark plug gap has to increase .035 thousandths - .045 thousandths and you should be good to go by Ernie's TPI engineering. I've been working on these engines since 1986!

HI all
I have a few days off work so id thought I would try to build a new ignition module from an old mopar box and add a performance gm HEI module inside. Why you might ask, well there a few reasons. One I've heard that the new orange boxes are not very good, and the gm HEI can take more current and give a hotter spark, and I want to see if I can get it to work. Anyway I'm still having some issues with my car and I want to see if this will improve it. I will post more pics when I start to assemble I painted the box and will have it let it dry.View attachment 36285

all original

Reaction score
Thank you for your input
Yes I have heard this about the pick up not being able to trigger the module. The information that I have read
contributes the problem to the low quality of parts being manufactured in china. With that being said I will take it one step at a time and see if this will give me more things to work out.

all original

Reaction score
I finished my little project. I will test it in the next week or so. If I can't get it to work I will probably try a chrome
box as well.
IMG_5147.JPG
IMG_5143.JPG
IMG_5144.JPG

Back