• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Inner fender damage

Cbridgewater

Reaction score
In the pictures you can see there is some damage to the inner fender on the passenger side. Frame rail looks good to the eye, so I think a previous owner hit something up high around the body line (fender shows it too). Question is, should I just repair the dented area? Or replace the inner fender with reproduction? I don’t think the fender alignment was really effected, with the “adjustment” wiggle room I think it will be fine. Thoughts?

CED9B8C5-2501-4F40-89DC-15B4D6AF1DAE.jpeg

24E56EE8-2D90-4C29-889E-B90E0BA2E6D5.jpeg

E772F88D-95B3-4B29-8B52-D30653289B20.jpeg

C640FCE2-3B16-42C4-93A4-725E871C4499.jpeg

budascuda

Reaction score
If a bit of work can save the original sheetmetal,
I would save the factory sheetmetal/spotwelds.
Mark Worman's bodyman (from the graveyard cars ) once claimed that mike would kill his own grandmother to save as much of the original metal as he could.
Ironically, Bill Leer (of the Leer jet co.) also claimed the that he would kill his own grandmother to loose a pound of weight.
However, I would go with Worman.

aussiemark

Reaction score
Do you think the hood may have opened at speed sometimes the hood folds only on one side and the side that doesn't causes damage to the hood hinge area.

budascuda

Reaction score
In the second pic. It looks as if the wrinkle formed behind the location of the folded nut was produced by a frontal impact. Perhaps bumper level or even lower.

Cbridgewater

Reaction score
In the second pic. It looks as if the wrinkle formed behind the location of the folded nut was produced by a frontal impact. Perhaps bumper level or even lower.

I’ll take some photos of the fender later and post them. All of the damage is isolated to the passenger side. It does not have the original hood or bumper. Core support has a slight tear and movement in it too.

Adam

Reaction score
Take careful measurements. If it needs to be replaced now is the time.

budascuda

Reaction score
There could be damages from different times or the side impact could have done it, i have to say that to me the damage does not look like it was wholly caused by a side impact, but that doesn't matter, these cars have seen action for 40+ years, as Adam said take good measurements, if it is within your means, level the car on jacks in a way that the front frame rails are not supported by any of the jacks that you are using (but still safe and secure), then place a level across the front end of the rails to see if one rail is higher than the other one. It it is level, you are good to go, if the passenger side is slightly higher then you have to deal with it whether you are replacing the inner fender or you decide to straighten it out, you need to make sure the rail(s) not bent. People say +/- 1/8" is close, but its up to you to make that call.
One last thing, it looks like you have removed the k frame, which makes life easier but while you are at it, make sure the k_frame is not twisted. If you need to know how, let me know!

Cbridgewater

Reaction score
Ok so I started messing with the fender today. Knocked some dents out, cut out warped pieces and will be straightening and welding back in. What I have now found is the rail that the fender bolts to on top of the inner fender is curved. Driver side, laser straight.

image.jpg

budascuda

Reaction score
Looking gooood! I think at the end your gonna be glad that you could save the original inner fender.
It's all labor of love.

moparlee

Reaction score
Thoughts on getting it straight? Big ass hammer??
Along with your big azz hammer, use a piece of 2x4 to lay along that edge and hammer away. Is the frame rail straight and does it like the shock tower look to be ok? Maybe someone can measure the center to center between the two shock towers to compare with what yours measures. I can't measure mine as the engines are installed.

Cbridgewater

Reaction score
Everything looks straight except for the top of the inner fender. I’ll post up a measurement just in case though

340challconvert

Reaction score
For what is is worth, I measured the distance between my inner fenders from the center hole (just above the shock tower) where the c clip goes to install a fender bolt. Outside of the inner fender lip to outside of the lip on the other inner fender measured out as 51 inches.
Hope this helps!
Dino2 (1).gif

Last edited:

aussiemark

Reaction score
You do get a bit of give and take there, as mentioned make sure the frame rail and shock tower alignment are good and do a test fit with the front sheet metal checking the gaps and if the inner fender repair looks good and the other checks pass then you are looking good.

gzig5

Reaction score
Thoughts on getting it straight? Big ass hammer??

You can get a porta-power hydraulic cylinder setup pretty cheap. Or do what I did to pull a very tough dent on the front of the fender. It included the nose roll so it didn't want to move. I welded a plate to the fender and connected the come-along to the welding table, which had to be braced to keep from moving. I could have used the center garage door post or the trailer hitch on the truck for an anchor. Pulled the dent out very nicely, cut the tack welds off and grind them down. I'll finish at a later date. I needed to pull it so I could get the grill and headlight bucket trim mounted.

IMG_2351[1].JPG

IMG_2352[1].JPG

Cbridgewater

Reaction score
Well it’s on a truck headed to the frame shop. Got it up on jack stands and started pulling measurements the passenger frame rail is 1” high and 1/2” toward the driver rail. Should be back home in a couple days.

Back