• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Installing front and rear beltline weatherstrip door panel moldings

themechanic

Reaction score
What's the trick to installing the beltline weather strip moldings on the front and rear door panels? The old ones pulled off easily. But, I'm struggling to install the new ones. I've tried soapy water and spray silicone. I'm working on a 70 Cuda.

IMG_20220919_162957773.jpg

Juan Veldez

Reaction score
I struggled with a couple of mine that finally snapped into place, but I really had to force them on. I still have have the 1/4 panel for the driver side that will NOT snap into place. I am at the point where I am gonna file down the panel and somehow adhere the new strip in place. Are yours too tight and not going down, or are they loose and fall off?

themechanic

Reaction score
I struggled with a couple of mine that finally snapped into place, but I really had to force them on. I still have have the 1/4 panel for the driver side that will NOT snap into place. I am at the point where I am gonna file down the panel and somehow adhere the new strip in place. Are yours too tight and not going down, or are they loose and fall off?
Way too tight.

Juan Veldez

Reaction score
Way too tight.
I started on the what I call the "fixed end" where it can't go any further on the panel edge and slowly, with extreme pressure with both hands, worked my way along looking to see it fully seated while working my way to the end. As said, two panels just would not accept the strip until with great force, it finally snapped tight at the end. You probably did this, just like me, but make sure the track on the strip is without any foreign material in it. If you find a trick, let me know. Hopefully someone else has the solution, because I'm thinking it shouldn't be that difficult?

cuda joe

Reaction score
I banged in mine with my fist it took a bit but it worked .. should have thought to use spray 9 cleaner on the clips to make it a little slippery

Juan Veldez

Reaction score
I banged in mine with my fist it took a bit but it worked .. should have thought to use spray 9 cleaner on the clips to make it a little slippery
I can get mine fully seated for about two seconds, but the end near the back slowly starts popping up and continues until it is half way disengaged. Oh, neither the panel nor the strip are bent in any way to cause this. Today, I do a little filing on the panel, and use some contact cement!

cuda joe

Reaction score
by the back of the door? there is supposed to be a hole in the door with one of these in the moulding

KIMG0827[1].JPG

cuda joe

Reaction score
i was talking about the moldging on top of the doors .. the felt window sweep on most cars is screwed on

KIMG0828[1].JPG

cuda joe

Reaction score
I nerer replaced them on the cuda most cars have tabs on the interior sweep that fit through holes in the door panel and bend over on the other side

themechanic

Reaction score
I'm posting about a 70 Cuda beltline weatherstrip (AKA Cat Whiskers, Window Fuzzies). There's no clips on the inners they just slip on top of the door panels for a friction fit.

marks ebody

Reaction score
I install the door panel on the door and then install that upper window felt seems to be a little bit easier and you can use more pressure because you’re not trying to hold a panel.

cuda joe

Reaction score
I looked at some old door panels i have they are different from most cars they need to be straight and you might have to crimp them so they hold better

themechanic

Reaction score
Now that's an idea that could work.
I tried that with the rear panels and no bueno.

I did solve the problem, though. I just used the smallest rubber hammer I have, it's about 1" diameter, and tapped the suckers right on from one end to the other without dents or scratches.

Now, to try it on the front panels. That will be a while before I can do it as I like to finish things on the interior and save the door panels for last.

Back