• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Intake Manifold Vacuum Nipple

16 Again

Reaction score
I'm trying to see if I have the correct intake manifold vacuum nipple installed on my car. It's a 1971 383 auotmatic and it's the nipple that
the power brake hose connects to. Does anyone have a clear picture of one on an original engine that I can compare mine to see if it's right?

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
should be threaded into the #8 runner the rear of the intake , standing straight up with a 3/8" nipple or more correctly 11/32 , some had smaller nipples as well for A/C , cruise etc

16 Again

Reaction score
Thanks. I'm trying to find out exactly how many ports are on the nipple. Mine has 3 small ones and one large for the power brake and i am wondering if it's correct
since the manifold ahs been changed. I now have the correct manifold and I wanted to make sure when I install it I have the right one. I have seen different ones
on cars at shows that's why I was hoping to find someone with the original motor to compare it to.

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
Most Challernger & Cudas did not have a lot of options or need for extra vacuum ports so most would just have the single nipple for the power brakes ., Chryslers had a lot more options with need for vacuum ports for A/C , cruise etc

moper

Reaction score
I think if you have AC you might have the one with multiple smaller nipples. One goes through the firewall t othe controls and others go to stuff in the engine bay. But if you have no A/C I think you should have a one with the large 3/8 nipple and a smaller nipple that had a cap, or just the single large nipple.

16 Again

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure that Chrysler put the same one on all the 383 cars just like they probably did on the other engines. I couldn't see them taking the time to see which options the car had
and then screw in the correct nipple when they could just put a cap on the ends of the ones they didn't use. That's why I was looking for someone with an original car for reference. Since
my manifold was changed sometime in the past (it's still a stock manifold just a different part number) I don't know if the nipple was changed then or they just left whatever (if any) was
on the replacement manifold at the time. Since I've taken the time to get the correct manifold I would like to make sure everything is right when I install it.

moper

Reaction score
I think you're wrong there because I don;t believe the nipples were painted from the factory - they were not on the engine as a single asembly (like the exh manifolds or (-) cable... But I'm not a restoration guru. I can say the 383 in my '70 and the 383 in my budddy's Challenger R/T had unpainted 3/8" nipple/capped smaller nipple on them. Both power brake, non a/c cars.

16 Again

Reaction score
I'm not saying they are painted mine's not. I'm saying that I don't think they stood on the assembly line seeing what option the car had and then
screwed in the appropriate nipple. My '71 'Cuda is also a power brake non a/c car and the manifold that's on the car has 3 in additional ones
in addition to the large one for power brakes. I'm trying to find out if it was on the manifold when installed or it was taken off the original manifold and put on the the one on the car that's why I'm trying to find someone with an original car to compare it to since I have found the
correct manifold to put back on.

moper

Reaction score
Gotcha. Knowing mopar - it might have been whatever was in the bins at the time that would plug the hole...lol.

Back