• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Just how odd is this 70 Challenger?

sdweatherman

Reaction score
Like DetMatt1 said - the "SCHEDULED" build date is on the fender tag - 3 digit code, second line from the bottom, 4th group over. First digit is month - with 1(Jan) 2(Feb).....A (Oct) B(Nov), and the next two numbers the date. Take note that this is the "SCHEDULED" build date and not necessarily the actual build date of the car - but they usually are pretty close.

The sunroof tools can be found for a lot less than that. I have not studied my project sunroof car close enough to see if there is a more modern tool that would suffice.

Sunroof cars were often done in batches, so finding another sunroof car buildsheet that is three digits off is not too far fetched. And having a buildsheet from another car period happens quite often.

I would love to see a high res scan of the build sheet for the other sunroof car. Maybe we can reunite it with the actual owner if the car still exists.

Fun stuff! Scott.

Last edited:

DetMatt1

Reaction score
Neither - it's been repainted. Doesn't have holes for the emblems, though.
Early cars had decals which would explain the lack of holes. I have reproduction decals made from a pair of NOS decals that I own. Let whoever is planning on restoring the car know that I have the decals.

AMC PackRat

Reaction score
I can probably take a decent pic of the sheet the next time I'm over there. The owner says the seats came from a junkyard car from what he knew but that doesn't mean it didn't get rolled out of it eventually. I knew about the early decals but I doubt if this guy will restore it. He thinks it'll be fun to just drive it like it is. :rolleyes: I drove it with the sunroof closed and the windows stuck up on a hot day - it didn't seem that fun to me . . . .:eek: I'm trying to get him to pull the carpet out and look for floor pan rust and a build sheet - that'll probably take him forever.

The M51 sunroof code isn't on the data plate. He says they didn't put it on the plate but it should be on the build sheet - is that right?

The A66 code is there - should it also have the code for the 15 Rallyes or was that all under that code?

Last edited:

DetMatt1

Reaction score
I'm surprised the sunroof code isn't on the tag. Usually things directly related to the assembly of the chassis/metal body were on the tag and the rest was on the sheet.

sdweatherman

Reaction score
The sunroof was installed away from the plant. The ASC workers just hacked a hole in the roof of the standard hardtops - so no special prep from the factory was required. This is why the vinyl top was required - so any scratches and imperfections from the sunroof install would have to be fixed - just cover it up with vinyl and good to go! Scott.

quapman

Reaction score
Other than the sunroof & power windows, it's pretty run of the mill. No rallye gauges or disk brakes? Meh.

As previously stated, the bulge hood, 15" wheels, 26" radiator and bumble bee stripe were all standard with a 340.

AMC PackRat

Reaction score
LOL ! It's the combination of all the parts that makes it odd. It has disk brakes. MEH yourself. :p

quapman

Reaction score
Hey, you said power brakes, I didn't see "disk". After seeing 1000 of these "Is my car one of one? It has this weird combination of options" posts, they're all "meh".

AMC PackRat

Reaction score
Well, excuuuuuuuuuuuse me. :rolleyes: I never said this car was super collectible or worth a million bucks. It's not even mine. I was just trying to get some info on it. Maybe you shouldn't bother to read posts like this . . . . and for sure not to comment on them. That would probably make a lot of people happier. LOL

quapman

Reaction score
I love when people ask for opinions, but then get their panties in a bunch when one of them isn't all ooh-la-la. I'm not here to make anyone happy. You asked. I answered. Maybe you shouldn't bother to write posts like this. People sure have some thin skin these days.

quapman

Reaction score
Back to actual facts. Sdweatherman, to the best of your knowledge, were any sunroofs installed after the sale..."Dealer installed" as it were? That might be why the code doesn't appear on the tag(s).

Also, Pack Rat, let us know for sure on the disk brakes. The master & booster look like drum units from the pic. Disks would certainly be a plus.

Last edited:

DetMatt1

Reaction score
Code for the sunroof wouldn't be on the tag at all because they weren't done in house, I guess it would be on the sheet.

sdweatherman

Reaction score
Sdweatherman, to the best of your knowledge, were any sunroofs installed after the sale..."Dealer installed" as it were? That might be why the code doesn't appear on the tag(s).
Yes, there are instances where American Sunroof Corp would get a car from a dealership to get the sunroof installed - usually at a customers expense. A good example of this is Jerry Juenemann's 1970 Dodge Daytona. One of 3 Chargers that got the Daytona "package" installed at the dealership. That car also got the sunroof installed by the dealership.

In these cases, they would not be considered "factory" sunroof cars, even though the process really was not that different. They would just be lacking the documentation that the sunroof was actually ordered before the car was sent down the line.

It is my understanding that the codes on the fender tags were there because most options listed on the actual tag required some sort of prep or special part in the body in white phase? Like G33 - passenger side mirror - needed a passenger door that had holes in it for the mirror install. 26 - 26 inch radiator - needed a wider opening and hence small radiator core supports. C16 - Center console - needed the brackets on the trans tunnel welded in. There was no need for M51 - because ASC hacked a hole in the standard hardtop roof - no special prep needed.

I hope this helps! All to the best of my knowledge, Scott.

quapman

Reaction score
Interesting stuff. I haven't seen too many E-body sunroof cars in the flesh, but plenty of 72-4 b-bodies, mostly Chargers. They ALL had the sunroof code on the tag. I believe the VON will tell a tale as well. "Outside modified" cars start with a "G", if I recall.

aussiemark

Reaction score
My 1970 sunroof Challenger does not have the code on the fender tag but it is on the build sheet I don't know of any sunroof cars with the code on the tag. Have a good look for another build sheet it will be hard to say it is original without it.

sdweatherman

Reaction score
B, C, and E-body cars through 1972 were M51 Power sunroof cars and did not have the code on the tag (there are a very few exceptions). Most power sunroof cars will have a special Vehicle Order Number (VON) that starts with a letter (again - there are exceptions - 1970 Challengers and 1971 Chrysler C-bodies being the problem children - also 1969 sunroof Charger VONs start with 928). For 1973 and up B-bodies, American Sunroof Corp came up with a MANUAL sunroof kit that could be installed on the Assembly line. The M52 manual sunroof code did appear on the tags then.

AMC PackRat

Reaction score
Well, first I want to thank you guys for the info you supplied on the sunroof cars. As a guy that's only been here a couple days I didn't realize there were a thousand threads just like this here and that they're irritating to some. I thought this car was unusual enough to have a conversation on. I guess only a newly found 71 Hemi 'Cuda convertible or another 72 6 Pack equipped car are worthy. :rolleyes: I guess I'll tell the owner the car's unusual but lame with no restored value for the amount of money it would take to do it. That's about as honest as I can be about it. That way he can feel secure in just fixing it up enough to drive and driving it into the ground and eventually scrapping it. I had a feeling he was going to do that anyway. LOL Again, thanks for the info on M51 and A66 options - that was pretty helpful and answered a lot of questions I've had about the car over the years. :)

DetMatt1

Reaction score
It's a car very much worth restoring for the love of the hobby and the car itself. I don't think any money would be lost if it was restored especially if some of it could be done by the owner. What I mean is that you could sell it for what you had into it no problem and you might even be able to make some money. I'd love to see the fender tag.

340challconvert

Reaction score
An A66 car is always special itself, coming with many of the RT options as standard. This one has a few unique ones.
I too would love to see the fender tag and or build sheet. I personally would try to get it at a reasonable price. It would be a labor of love and you would have fun doing it. The 340 cars are a blast to drive with the lower weight of a small block on the front and and the RT based HD suspensions. Again good luck, I would continue to monitor this and inquire. Persistence sometimes pays off.
Dino2 (1).gif

Back