• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Just the tip

Tactical185

Reaction score
Recently restored my 71 vert. Exhaust system was replaced but the exhaust tips seem to stick out to far. Does anyone know exactly how far they are supposed to stick out of the rear balance??
Thank you

1D3AD499-4B02-4C62-91AA-EB435B2ADD49.jpeg

D48480D3-8567-41DE-B110-F83A593ECEBF.jpeg

B5667CA9-5061-43CB-BD92-25BFA592E884.jpeg

rklein71

Reaction score
I pilfered this off an article about the most original hemi cuda on the planet, very low mileage and never messed with. No dimensions. though.
upload_2020-8-8_14-41-2.png

Ron-B-Cuda

Reaction score
FWIW, because of their rather expensive price tag, I had the exhaust tips stick out a bit so they can be seen. Just measured, the top is about an inch out. Help that helps

rklein71

Reaction score
I am not an expert by any means, but as I look at many pictures, there seams to be a fairly large variation of how the tips fit. I bought 2.5 inch stainless tips and I just eyeballed what I thought looked good. Rod

wing - Copy.jpg

michael

Reaction score
I have a challenger with the similar tips mine are barely outside the valence. I wish my exhaust shop had stuck them out around a inch after a few years of driving the chrome gets a little discolored from the hot exhaust. It will come off with chrome cleaner. A couple of years of driving for me is 500-700 miles!

moparleo

Reaction score
They just did a Cuda exhaust system install on Graveyard Cars. The factory stick out was about an inch. I would have to go back and watch it again. Also yours do not look like the factory tips and may be a different length. You can do it however you want.

Tactical185

Reaction score
FWIW, because of their rather expensive price tag, I had the exhaust tips stick out a bit so they can be seen. Just measured, the top is about an inch out. Help that helps
very helpful, thank you

Tactical185

Reaction score
They just did a Cuda exhaust system install on Graveyard Cars. The factory stick out was about an inch. I would have to go back and watch it again. Also yours do not look like the factory tips and may be a different length. You can do it however you want.

Tactical185

Reaction score
thank you, I'll see if I can find that episode on graveyard.

74Scooter

Reaction score
Good discussion. I just installed new TTI shorty headers and exhaust. Slipped the tips on just last weekend because it's better than looking at the bare exhaust through the cutouts. The tips are wayyyy.. out there. Waiting to see if I want to stay with the Pypes tips before I cut the pipe to fit. Census seems to be about an inch protruding... give or take.

Tactical185

Reaction score
Good discussion. I just installed new TTI shorty headers and exhaust. Slipped the tips on just last weekend because it's better than looking at the bare exhaust through the cutouts. The tips are wayyyy.. out there. Waiting to see if I want to stay with the Pypes tips before I cut the pipe to fit. Census seems to be about an inch protruding... give or take.
that's what I'm hearing and seeing from the pics, about 1 inch. thank you

Tactical185

Reaction score
that's what I'm hearing and seeing from the pics, about 1 inch. thank you
but I bet there is an official measurement out there somewhere. Back in 1971 those guys on the assembly line weren’t just eyeballing those tips and welding them on. Lol

Tactical185

Reaction score
thank you

Ridr

Reaction score
I had a Magnaflow exhaust installed by Maganaflow on my 1972 Cuda with new chrome Mopar tips and they stick out from the top exactly one inch.

Back