• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

KBS XTC Xtreme Header paint products

DTCMMLF

Reaction score
Gentlemen,
Has any one out any experience this product? 500 to 1500 degrees! One review stated it still flaked after some amount of time.
I have a bead blaster in my garage, so can get older headers pretty clean. Use rubber gloves so no finger oils, residual solvents, etc.
Tend to flash fresh metal with cheap spray clear coat to keep surface rust at bay, here in the humid South.
Looking to coat a new set of Hookers for the 440 and coat two older small block pairs. All input is welcomed.

70chall440

Reaction score
In my experience, any spray on product is going to come off unless it is very thin. I now buy all my headers coated because they will definitely rust where I am. That said, you might try something like Cerakote air dry, it will take the heat and should last.

NoCar340

Reaction score
I painted a set of used, inexpensive headers in 2003 that ultimately ended up on a friend's Charger. After blasting, I thoroghly preheated the headers with a propane torch and used VHT 1,500° black while they were hot (I did one header at a time). After the paint dried, I torched 'em again, right back to "too hot to touch" range. They've been on his car 15 years and are starting to show some signs of age, but there's very little rust on them considering the amount of time that's passed.

Coupe

Reaction score
I bought ceramic coated headers from TTI, and they rusted too. Stainless will discolor, but I think that's the way I'll go from now on.

DTCMMLF

Reaction score
Coupe,
Interesting... Probably the present premiere header folks out there and their coated pipes rusted too.....
Hmmmm, time to go true industrial and see whats cooking with a friend of mine at NASA!!!!!!

70chall440

Reaction score
There is a product that some might not know about that; Cerakote air dry. It comes in a wide variety of colors and is very sensitive to contamination during the application process but if applied correctly is a great product. Its used a lot on firearms so there are a lot of youtube videos on it. Better yet its relatively cheap and goes on very thin.

DTCMMLF

Reaction score
I checked with Houts with the same idea. Guns get warm, not as hot as headers tho. Thought was to spray on a spot on stock exhaust manifold. Bolt it to my run up stand motor a few times and see how it went.
Emailed Houts... Never heard back from them. So I did not follow thru. I have used their products in the past, blueing my 45-70 Rolling block rifle with good results. Nothing ventured, not a dang then gained....

heminut

Reaction score
Guns get warm, not as hot as headers tho. Thought was to spray on a spot on stock exhaust manifold. Bolt it to my run up stand motor a few times and see how it went.
Guns don't but suppressors do! Those things get every bit as hot as any header and the air dry Cerakote holds up great on them. I agree with 70Chall440, air dry Cerakote would be a great header coating.

Back