• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Later Mopar space saver spare tire for a 1970 E- Body

DY31970

Reaction score
Hi, I have a 1970 Challenger that I would like to get a later Mopar space saver spare tire for. I read previously that some years of the Dodge Caravan minivan have a space saver spare that has the correct bolt pattern and center bore (hole) that would fit. Would anybody know what years of Caravan have the correct space saver? Would some Plymouth Voyagers and Chrysler Town and Country minivans spares work? Any passenger cars like the Dodge Intrepid?

Dodgeboy

Reaction score
Check out my post (and the comments) in 'tires and rims' FYI: Cars with 5x4.5 or 5x114.3 & 71.6 cb
These are all vehicles that that have the same bolt spacing & cb as our challengers. I did find a company that makes spare tire rims but they want $400

DY31970

Reaction score
Thanks for the list. There are different offsets. Which offset is the same or closest to an E-body? Which offsets work best with an E-body?

Dodgeboy

Reaction score
Most of today's cars have too much positive offset. A 7" wide rim would need 0 offset for 4"bs, or +12 for 4.5"bs. If your just after a donut/spare then that "should" be easier to find if you can find one. The problems I ran into is a lot of cars come with a full size spare (too much positive offset) and everyone selling donuts never list what car it came from, or don't know how to measure cb or bs.

DY31970

Reaction score
I saw a 2005 and 2007 Caravan at a junk yard and they had full size spares. A guy in upstate NY has a 1999 Caravan with the original space saver, too far away. I don't really understand positive offset or backspacing. If I find a space saver from your list, will it work on an E-body?

Dodgeboy

Reaction score
If you find a steel space saver then those should work. These rims are not very wide (roughly 5") so you shouldn't have any issues. I would bring a tape measure & check bs to be sure, 4 to 4.5" bs will work. Most of us are used to backspacing, not rim offset. Also Factory aluminum rims are too thick and require longer wheel studs

Basically 0 offset means the rim mounting point is in the middle of the rim and this is where the measurements are taken from. (usually trailer rims have 0 offset, I.e. a 6" wide rim would have 3"bs), + offset is more bs (moves the rim further in) & - offset is less bs (moves the rim further out). You can blame this on all the front wheel drives with their CV axles...lol
I just saved the chart (in the other post/topic) and use it as a reference.

Back