• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

LED Bulb Conversion

cv70chall

Reaction score
Decided to replace the 1157 bulbs and BA9S style bulbs for the instrument cluster with LED. Changed out the front two 1157 bulbs and rear four tail bulbs with the LED equivalent.
MUCH brighter and look much better. (And less draw, of course)
I'm planning on replacing the side marker bulbs and instrument cluster bulbs this week and will update everyone.
My question involves the flasher.
With the old bulbs, the flash sequence seemed faster, but looks to be a bit slower with the LEDs.
Is there a different flasher I can replace that will improve this?

Rapidfire

Reaction score
You need to install a no-load LED flasher can (electronic not mechanical) into the flasher circuit. The new led bulbs you put in do not draw the minimal current it takes to run the original flasher.

Rapidfire

Reaction score
image.jpeg

DrEamer

Reaction score
The flasher is by far the easiest way to get it done. You can wire in a resistor on each bulb, but it is a real hassle, and the resistors are known for getting hot.

70chall440

Reaction score
I don't think you need a resistor for each bulb, I installed 1 resistor on my left blinker circuit to get both blinkers to work. I had tried the no load flasher but it did not work.

heminut

Reaction score
You need to install a no-load LED flasher can (electronic not mechanical) into the flasher circuit. The new led bulbs you put in do not draw the minimal current it takes to run the original flasher.
I tried this with no luck, my flashers still wouldn't work. Another member here had the same problem and said he used a 3 prong flasher, one prong goes direct to ground. I did the same thing and problem solved!

terrywalker

Reaction score
Here's the flasher unit with ground pigtail and reversing polarity base I used and now my LED emergency flashers and turn signal lights work great.
Terry W.

Attachments

• Flasher 1.jpg
    Flasher 1.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 177
  • Flasher 2.jpg
    Flasher 2.jpg
    962.6 KB · Views: 163

Bigblue73

Reaction score
The EF-32 is the direct replacement for the 552 (stock) flasher. If you prefer the one with the ground wire, the part number number is EF32-RL. These are available on Amazon for no more than 12 bucks. I supply the CEC brand with my LED arrays.

Mopar-Maniac

Reaction score
I'm actually doing the same thing with my 70 Challenger. This forum string has been very helpful. Thanks for all the good information about flasher units. Saved me some research time.

Dodgeboy

Reaction score
When i did mine a several years ago I went with the flasher with the ground pigtail. My tail lights & front marker lights are led (sidemarker lights were removed years ago) and everything works good. My dashlights are also led, just my dome is light is the old school bulb. I made led tail lights and seperated the brake light/turn light from the hazzard light circuit so my brake lights still come on when my hazzards are on. In my '74 the hazzards override the brake lights so I got no brake lights with the hazzards on

BSG

Reaction score
Did the whole car about a year ago 72 mine blinks a little slower but the entire car pops at night with the the bright leds...

cv70chall

Reaction score
I've replaced the dome light, instrument panel BA9S bulbs, front turn lamps and rears. It does blink slightly slower, but everything works fine- and the lights do look better.
Does this upgraded flasher speed up the sequence or not?

terrywalker

Reaction score
When you plug in the electronic flasher, it is polarity sensitive. One of the male prongs is positive and the other prong is negative in the wiring harness. The flasher may not work when you plug it into the wiring harness. That's what happened to my lights. I made up a couple of wires with ends, crossed them over when I plugged in the flasher to the harness and my lights started blinking. I bought the polarity reversing base to eliminate the pigtail wires I made up. The base replaces the wires for a cleaner look. My photo above shows the reversing base below the flasher in the package.
Terry W.

cv70chall

Reaction score
So my best bet is to snag the unit with the ground pigtail and simply ground it? It's just inside the ashtray, if memory serves, right? (Its been 8 or 9 years since I rebuilt the car lol

tkorec

Reaction score
Any recommendations of reputable sources for LED lights?

terrywalker

Reaction score
I ordered mine through Amazon. They have up to packages of 10 Bulbs for the common lights.
Terry W.

Back