• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Light smoke coming from steering column

Promo6pckConv

Reaction score
Hello. I'm hoping to hear what might be causing a little light smoking coming from the steering column while stopped at a red traffic light?
It wasn't consistent or constant, but a couple of light smoke clouds seemed to roll out of the steering column area while sitting at a light, at 900rpm idle.
Any ideas or suggests on what might cause that to happen?

Thanks,

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
It can be electrical or something coming from the engine compartment. Check steering column shaft seal?

challenger ateering col bearing.jpg

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
I responded to you post 1 min after you posted it.Hope you are pulling the cables even if it's not being driven. That way others can respond to a minor problem and not a major catastrophe!

Cuda Hunter

Reaction score
Something is grounding out in your wiring harness.
A few puffs of smoke and inconsistent sure is different.
Usually it's a huge puff of smoke as a whole wire has burned up.

Juan Veldez

Reaction score
Not sure why the detailed info on stopping at a red light. Do you stop at green lights? Sure fire (pun intended) fix is not to ever stop.

But seriously, I agree with the others, pull the cables off the battery. Than dive into the steering column as you more than likely have an electrical issue.

Glas86

Reaction score
Also brake lights are routed trough the steering column since they need to be interrupted when you are blinking. My best guess is a bad contact in the blinker switch. Since you are braking while sitting at the red light you have the current for the brake going through the switch.

Promo6pckConv

Reaction score
Great info guys. Thank you all for the quick responses, very much appreciated. A couple of notes or answers.

No odor or smell with the smoke, but it was very light and only 2 separate puffs.

At the red light, I didn't have no blinker/ turn signal on at all. Just brake lights would have been on.

However, I know my front left turn signal- indicator does not work at the moment. I took the bulb out and have not replaced it yet. The bulb looked fine when I removed it. I thought maybe a wire got loose somewhere but can't seem to trace where there might be a loose connection. To my eye, all the visible wiring looks good.

I'm adding a couple of pictures of the steering column and the negative battery terminal.

Attachments

• NegativeBatteryCable.jpg
    NegativeBatteryCable.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 109
  • SteeringColumn1.jpg
    SteeringColumn1.jpg
    173.2 KB · Views: 118
  • SteeringColumn2.jpg
    SteeringColumn2.jpg
    197 KB · Views: 113

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
Steering column shaft seal looks to be intact. thought that maybe something from engine compartment was coming through. As far as the electrical. check the two plugs under the column for loose or burnt connections,or hard wires . a loose connection will burn. The front turn signal not working may be the problem. The flasher will kind of protect it because it will cycle faster until it goes bad. I'm referring to this as I have experienced it. I would speculate that the front socket and springs are rusted and shorted. That would cause a high current draw on the weakest point.the turn signal switch with grease. puff on smoke. Thoughts are just thought for investigation. Thanks for response

ph23vo

Reaction score
my fury did that too..ign sw electrical in column was overheating because of bad connection at harness under dash..

brotow

Reaction score
Pull the steering wheel off and look for burnt wires, switch, and the connector towards the bottom of the column. I doubt it coming from the engine compartment

i_taz

Reaction score
Start at the turn signal switch by trying the turn signals. 4 ways and brake lights....

domeboys

Reaction score
On the turn signal issue, check to ensure the housing is making a good connection to the valance. Mine did not.

I had smoke from the column when engaging the turn signal. The aforementioned ground problem caused the turn signal switch in the column to short out.

Back