• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

looking for my moms first car

cloneman315

Reaction score
Good and bad news... it’s the car!!! Got some good pics with the car and my parents and even took videos of me telling them after 30 years we found it. Good thing is we know it’s still out there and maybe in the future we can own it again. I am sad to say on the phone the seller gave me a buy number that even know was way above what the car was worth I was ok with it pending a in person inspection etc.

Once we arrived after a two hour drive the price went up 5k and the car wasn’t exactly what it was described as. I was ok with the small repairs etc. The car was started and it overheated and appeared maybe head gasket or something along those lines and I was told it was low on water. The oil was clean and small signs of milk on stick. Again I was ok with it since now me and my sons could fix grandpas old car. I was ok with it needing small odds and ends honestly. But to get there with my parents and the price go up 5k and not make the deal in my eyes was not what true car guys do. I myself would never do that to someone. The man was so nice on the phone and I honestly thought he was going to help me make this a fun easy journey based on our conversations. Honestly the money is not a problem but I simply can’t justify to pay that much for car that’s just a nice basic driver and needs several things to be done no matter what it is. I was offering 1970 RT money for a 1974 318 car with some basic upgrades and just ok body and paint work.
Any input guys?

Last edited:

cloneman315

Reaction score
Yes it was outside there. Made offer on the phone before man knew it was our car and he agreed on a base price he would take prior to us meeting. We get there and my parents are all excited after all those years and then he hits me with another 5k. Car repairs are marginal at best and it overheats on the trailer. Clean oil and a little milk he says maybe it’s just low....

Paint and bodywork are terrible. Car is a nice driver and would have had fun for a little while but it will need full restoration in the future the correct way. He told me it was a rotisserie and how far it was from that! I still was willing to overpay a good amount knowing all this since my long term plans were a proper rebuild. He brought the car to the mecum auction and it sold for less money after fees that we offered. I’m guessing about 5k less . My dad was really upset as I thought this guy was a honest straight shooter but it appears it wasn’t the case. The good thing is we know it’s alive and hopefully in the near future we can end up with it....really disappointed as I know a true car guy would never do that. He told me if it went for less than the number he would call
Me and drop it off on the way back through my area. Well it was a couple thousand less and he didn’t. I would never do that to someone especially after giving them a price and there entire family shows up and it changes...

Last edited:

rbbruno3

Reaction score
Sorry to hear that , I live 50 miles north of Albany and go to a decent amount of shows. Don’t recall seeing a green Challenger around. Hopefully things work out for you in the near future

340challconvert

Reaction score
Sorry that happened to you.
Seller was a very disingenuous and unscrupulous person.
He ended up losing money he could have had. Sad.
Sounds like a fool.
Keep track of the car and good things will eventually happen for you

cloneman315

Reaction score
I truly think and have a good feeling someday soon we will get it back! My dad was really sad but there is nothing we can do. At the end of the day we thought it was gone years ago!! The car was truly a 20k to max 25k car. And that’s just about what it brought at the auction. I had 32k in my pocket that day but there was just to many things that were not accurate about the car and the price went up 5k once we got there.
So close but so far! Family was so excited and we did get some great pics!!

cloneman315

Reaction score
Guys if anyone sees this car or owner let me know? Maybe PM me? I don’t think the new owner even opened the hood or looked under the car. The car needs a lot of work especially in the body area and I think it also may have a blown head gasket as the oil was clean and showed milk. I figured the new owner will enjoy and play with it for a while and probably want to sell in the future. It’s one of those projects that to the untrained eye looks great from 20ft away but is going to rust and show the poor body work quick . Here is the link below.

1974 Dodge Challenger | W127 | Kissimmee 2020 | Mecum Auctions

Last edited:

cloneman315

Reaction score
Anyone know the new owner! Was mecum last week Wednesday w127 citrus green 74 challenger.

cloneman315

Reaction score
Hello guys it appears the car went to Pa. if anyone knows the man that bought it Please let me know. The link is above from the mecum!’

44A07D81-4C0F-415E-B729-E012033296DB.jpeg

6B359CB2-DAA2-498B-8887-597317AC9B47.png

cloneman315

Reaction score
I took that pic above when I went to look at the car with my parents right before the auction this month. The dishonest seller changed his price once we arrived and the car is not even close to what he called a restoration!

cloneman315

Reaction score
Correct my dad built that same motor back in the day. A old school mopar guy in NJ helped him with it.

cloneman315

Reaction score
Guys rumours has it the car went from Mecum in Florida to Pa! Keep a eye out for me and let me know!!

cloneman315

Reaction score
Hello everyone!!! Anyone spot anything out and about now that the weather is breaking??

fasjac

Reaction score
Give Time Machines a call in Tampa.
They do mopars (mr norms stuff) and know of many mopar folks. Ask for Mike Staveski. you never know??

Back