• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Looking for some help on fender tag on a 71 Barracuda.

1971 Gran Coupe

Reaction score
It has been some time since I posted anything but I read many posts here than any other site. I am looking at a 71 Barracuda with a 383 and not sure about a code for the driving lights. It is supposed to have the tag, but unsure of the build sheet. I know the code is L34. I have a real AAR and the code is not there, but what I have been able to find out is the lights were standard equipment, so not on the tag. In looking at a few tags from regular Barracudas and Gran Coupes, the L34 code is on the tag. I am trying to see if the car originally came with the lights. Any help or supporting pictures of tags to assist me on this when I go look at the car.
thanks in advance for any help on this one.

Cuda Hunter

Reaction score
L34 is the road lamp option.
As far as I know, if it's not on the fender tag the car did not come with them originally.
If you have an AAR that has the L34 road lamps installed but not on the fender tag, I would really like to see the build sheet that has the L34 listed on it.
I believe, as I have read, that those road lamps were always supposed to be on the fender tag even at the LA plant.

1971 Gran Coupe

Reaction score
Hey Cuda Hunter, long time since trading messages. I know you have a vast amount of pictures of tags and when time permits, take a look at them and see how many AAR's have the L34 code. I have a few, and none of them do.

Cuda Hunter

Reaction score
Not one AAR that I have has the L34 code.
None of the build sheets I've recorded have the L34 either.
I really only found this one L34. Cool car at that.
I don't save every tag i see. I just save cars that have options that I really like or options that are rare or uncommon.

1971  BAttleground WA.jpg

Cuda Hunter

Reaction score
Oh, to add to my previous post, L34 was supposed to be on all AAR's. I just don't know how any of the assembly line guys would have known this.

1971 Gran Coupe

Reaction score
My sheet is put up and no copy on my laptop. I have a few copies of other AAR sheets I have saved, and none of them show road lamps. I did look at a few fender tags from a google search and some of the Cuda's showed the L34 and some did not. I have a message out to good friend and hopefully he can fill in the blanks. Somewhere if memory serves me correctly, road lamps were standard on AAR's. On the BCS sheets, there isn't even a place for L34, so I am thinking it never made it to the sheets. Any thoughts on that?

Cuda Hunter

Reaction score
Good ole Dan over on ebodies. org explained it this way for me.

for 1970 L34 - "ROAD lamps" were STANDARD on all 'cudas (BS23 & BS27) - so every "BS" car (AARs included) received the firewall piercing for the "ROAD lamp" wiring

mid-year "ROAD lamps" became an OPTION on Barracuda (BH) & Gran Coupe (BP)

for 1971 L34 - "ROAD lamps" were OPTIONAL on Barracuda (BH), Gran Coupe (BP) & 'cuda (BS)

1971 Gran Coupe

Reaction score
Any chance you asked him about codes with 71 cars and if they were on 71 the BCS, all the info on 70's makes perfect sense, except why not all 70 BS cars had L34 on the tags. Probably another hit or miss item from the production line,

Cuda Hunter

Reaction score
So it seems L34 was an option in 71 and would have had to be on the fender tag.
I've asked about the BCS and how the assembly line people would have known to install these lamps or to not install them.
Apparently the road lamps were illegal in PA and CT so they would have had to have been removed by (probably) the dealership and dropped in the trunk. The louvers were also illegal in those states as I have read.
I've asked for details on how line workers knew these things and have not gotten an answer yet.

1971 Gran Coupe

Reaction score
Thanks Cuda Hunter, will check it out. I knew about the rear window louver restriction in PA, not the lights. Another learning day!

Cuda Hunter

Reaction score
I'm with ya. Learning every time I look at an ebody it seems. Thanks for asking the original question as I didn't realize some of this.

Back