• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

1970 AAR Cuda Fender Tags

skip69donzi

Reaction score
Hey guys, I’m looking to buy this AAR Cuda numbers car, I’m going to be documenting everything soon for myself but until I can get to the car, I’ve been sent a photo of the fender tags, all the codes are as they should be, what puzzles me is the arrangement of the tags and the screws. Normally we see the TRANS AM tag placed to the right of the options tag, and then thread Phillips head screws. These have slotted head screws and the TRANS AM tag is on the left. Never seen this arrangement from the factory on a TRANS AM car, Cuda or Challenger. I wish I could post a photo of it but I don’t know how to reduce the image file for it to attach. Maybe you guys can help me there too. From iPhone, I don’t from computer at all. Thanks

NixDad

Reaction score
My guess is someone removed and replaced tags at some point. Do all your other body numbers match (Cowl and radiator support)
I wouldn't worry too much and just buy the correct screws and put them where they are supposed to go.

skip69donzi

Reaction score
My guess is someone removed and replaced tags at some point. Do all your other body numbers match (Cowl and radiator support)
I wouldn't worry too much and just buy the correct screws and put them where they are supposed to go.
Documentation will be this week when the car is available for a deeper looks. Owner is in bad health and I’m getting help with this. So yes, we’re gonna verify all the cowl and rad support stamps and also broadcast sheet. The owner has had the car for 40 years, it’s been in safe keep for the last 20, and now it’s time for a new owner 😊!
We don’t suspect any funny business on the car, just at first glance the fender tags stuck out as I myself thought that same thing, prolly just took em off and then put em back wrong with the wrong screws. Thanks for the chat!

pschlosser

Reaction score
I don't know how you can do that through the iphone only. I download the images to my computer, and post them through the windoze PC browser, and it does not complain the size is too large.

skip69donzi

Reaction score
I don't know how you can do that through the iphone only. I download the images to my computer, and post them through the windoze PC browser, and it does not complain the size is too large.
Yep, I’ve heard about that. I’m reading about an ap that will do that on iPhone so I’ll see if I can get caught up on it so I can share this car and also my 71 Challenger build. Thanks!

pschlosser

Reaction score
transferring pictures to the my Mac is much easier than the PC - both have large displays. But doing it all on the tiny phone drives my eyeballs crazy.

skip69donzi

Reaction score
transferring pictures to the my Mac is much easier than the PC - both have large displays. But doing it all on the tiny phone drives my eyeballs crazy.
I hear ya. I’m just not at a computer at all. iPad for work and then my iPhone is all

pschlosser

Reaction score
Posted on behalf of @skip69donzi

BCP BS23J0B000000.jpeg

pschlosser

Reaction score
Agreed, those are not the factory screws, and I've seen a few of these AARs with the numbers plate on the left, and the Trans Am plate on the right.

Nothing glares at me as being wrong with it though. I don't recall seeing too many order numbers with a letter in them. I refer to the M04025 number.

skip69donzi

Reaction score
Agreed, those are not the factory screws, and I've seen a few of these AARs with the numbers plate on the left, and the Trans Am plate on the right.

Nothing glares at me as being wrong with it though. I don't recall seeing too many order numbers with a letter in them. I refer to the M04025 number.
I agree, slotted screws are not factory, the owner made some changes on the car, headers, wheels and exhaust tips removed for rear outlets, all can be reversed. As I mentioned I’m not in any doubt of the cars purity, so I just wanted to see if anyone has seen this arrangement of tags. It’s a nice car from the photos that I have so far, more documentation to follow…

MoparCarGuy

Reaction score
The TRANS AM tag's left side should show signs of the overlap from the main fender tag. The posted pic has that area cut off.
A full picture showing that area is needed.
Correct orientation and screws below.
BS23J0B294167.jpg

skip69donzi

Reaction score
The TRANS AM tag's left side should show signs of the overlap from the main fender tag. The posted pic has that area cut off.
A full picture showing that area is needed.
Correct orientation and screws below.
View attachment 110633
Agree, if you zoom in you can see the original paint edges under the spray. That car I know has been sprayed. Very obvious the tags were off the car and then put back but poorly done. Still waiting to get to the car for more documentation

Racer Dave

Reaction score
Yeah, I probably wouldn't worry about it. While it's a non-standard arrangement, the respray is a plausible explanation with the body shop having likely lost the original screws and grabbed whatever was laying around to reattach the tags - albeit reversed. The TRANS AM tag should have witness marks along the left edge where it was covered partially by the fender tag. Attention to this kind of detail was probably not the body shop's first concern - especially if it was years ago. As long as the VIN and other stamps match it's fine.

My order number is in the same format, M04XXX

skip69donzi

Reaction score
Yeah, I probably wouldn't worry about it. While it's a non-standard arrangement, the respray is a plausible explanation with the body shop having likely lost the original screws and grabbed whatever was laying around to reattach the tags - albeit reversed. The TRANS AM tag should have witness marks along the left edge where it was covered partially by the fender tag. Attention to this kind of detail was probably not the body shop's first concern - especially if it was years ago. As long as the VIN and other stamps match it's fine.

My order number is in the same format, M04XXX
Exactly, the car is legit. It’s all there. Just needs refreshing. Thanks 👍🏼

Back