• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Can a 70 have a 71 VIN?

73E

Reaction score
Looking at buying a “1970” challenger, but VIN 6th digit is 1. That tells me its a 71…. Seller has title and registration with identical VIN, but both say 1970 ???
Is it just a numerical error on the papers?

Katfish

Reaction score
Doubtful, I could see a mis stamp on fender tag, cowl, or radiator, but the VIN?
Not likely.........

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
Some thing is off , The paperwork could be wrong , The vin should be correct & match body , engine & trans stampings , What does the car look like ? 70 or 71 grille & taillights ?
The 70 & 71 are different in many areas , Dash script , window felts on the doors etc , 70 was unique in many ways .

73E

Reaction score
The car is original 318 A/T car, now 440, 4 speed, numbers matching not a factor. Here are few pics from ad, for you experts..Ive never owned an E body, to me they all look the same lol!

IMG_4297.jpeg

IMG_4298.jpeg

IMG_4299.jpeg

DetMatt1

Reaction score
I have a buddy that had a ‘71 Charger R/T, U-code car that was missing a digit in the VIN tag altogether. This was a while back so I’m shady on the details but he had it a Carlisle next to our swap spaces and it was attracting lots of attention. I remember several times hearing guys talk about cars that they knew of with similar stories. I remember how the tag looked with the blank spot in the middle though and I’m pretty sure it was the 6th digit. I do not remember how the title read.

terrywalker

Reaction score
Exterior is a 1970. Interior may be changed. It looks like it has a dash cap on it so the pad may not be original. The steering wheel is like the one in my 72 Challenger. It would be interesting to see what the cowl and radiator support VINs look like. Also the sticker VIN on driver's door if still there. Did he show the fender tag? The one visible door panel looks after market. Seats are a 70 Challenger.
Terry W.

73E

Reaction score
Exterior is a 1970. Interior may be changed. It looks like it has a dash cap on it so the pad may not be original. The steering wheel is like the one in my 72 Challenger. It would be interesting to see what the cowl and radiator support VINs look like. Also the sticker VIN on driver's door if still there. Did he show the fender tag? The one visible door panel looks after market. Seats are a 70 Challenger.
Terry W.
Seller says interior is new from classic industries and year one…. There is no fender tag…. This was a junker which owner rebuilt…. Original 318 car now 440. I see that 440s were an option in 70, but not 71….
I am not into numbers matching anything…. Just looking for rust free nice paint E body

73E

Reaction score
Does this look like a dash cap?
1705673666769.jpeg

Xcudame

Reaction score
Looks to me like someone stuck a 71 dash pad in a 70 Challenger. Or 70 Challenger grill and tail lights in a 71. If the VIN on the dash pad doesn't match the title, it's a rabbit hole I wouldn't go down.

And yes, that looks like a dash cap for certain.

73E

Reaction score
Looks to me like someone stuck a 71 dash pad in a 70 Challenger. Or 70 Challenger grill and tail lights in a 71. If the VIN on the dash pad doesn't match the title, it's a rabbit hole I wouldn't go down.

And yes, that looks like a dash cap for certain.
The VIN on title matches VIN on dash, but title says 1970.

73E

Reaction score
I’ve moved on with my search
Thanks everyone

terrywalker

Reaction score
The grille is easy enough to change from a 71 to a 70. 71 grilles are extremely difficult to find now. The taillight panel would need to be changed from a 71 panel to a 70 to use the 70 lights which the car has. The 70 taillight panel is available. Just be sure to cover all the bases if you decide to buy it. A bad title experience can sour a person's attitude quickly.

Katfish

Reaction score
The question is, how do you find a 71 VIN that is exactly like the 70 title, with the exception of the 6th digit.
Odds are astronomical........
Are you sure all the other numbers on title match that VIN?

Also thought the asterisks didn't happen on 70s?

Avalanche

Reaction score
The question is, how do you find a 71 VIN that is exactly like the 70 title, with the exception of the 6th digit.
Odds are astronomical........
Are you sure all the other numbers on title match that VIN?

Also thought the asterisks didn't happen on 70s?
My 70 Challenger dosent have asterisks.
Shouldn't you see the top of the chrysler logo under the vin?

challenger6pak

Reaction score
I have seen an error at the title office cause this. I had to straighten out a 67 Camaro that was titled 68 due to the title office entering it incorrectly. Does the dash VIN match the cowl and radiator VIN?

Xcudame

Reaction score
Don't know what the rules in Connecticut regarding changing an erroneous title. I'm sure I could convince the folks here in Arizona that it's a 1971 and they could change the title with the help of input from a sharp LEO.

If there are photos of the radiator support, cowl, door sticker and title showing the "1B232392", all of us here could agree it's a 71 Challenger. Just not sure where that gets you though.

Back