• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Losing oil, fuel, and temp gauges while driving

Jimmmmmay

Reaction score
Hey everyone. I'm stumped with something that recently started happening to me. To start off, I have rallye guages and put in a new dash wiring harness, ignition switch, and voltage regulator last year. Everything was great for a while, but now I'll lose my fuel, temp, and oil guages all at the same time. Only seems to be happening while driving, too. I haven't been able to make it happen just sitting in the garage with the key on. I have an aftermarket radio as well and the other clue is that the radio started turning off and back on. The radio is wired to acc and batt off the fuse block and grounded to the dash frame. I took a wire and ran a pigtail from the back of the gauges so I can read voltage while driving with a DMM and I'm at 14 volts while this is happening... so that seems ok. My ammeter is right in the middle, so that seems ok too. I took out my dash voltage limiter out as well. Its a solid state one and it bench tested fine with the LED blinking on it like it should. There HAS to be something about the radio turning off and back on and these gauges going out. Both of these things started at the exact same time. Since I know I'm getting 14 volts the whole time to the back of the gauges while this is happening, I'm stumped. Any recommendations are welcome!!

Jimmmmmay

Reaction score
I'm grounding the DMM to a screw on the dash frame with some alligator clips. I figured that would make sense if the voltage limiter works off the dash ground as well, but always open to other suggestions.

Back