• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Lower control arms

booyaballer

Reaction score
I am looking for some local help in San Jose, CA with the lower control arms for my 70 challenger. I have removed the arms and want to replace the pivot shafts and bushings. I've called several machine and auto shops and they don't seem to know what i'm talking about. I even showed them to a shop and they did not instill confidence even though they said they could do it. I've looked at youtube to do it myself but it appears above my capabilities. can anyone recommend a place near me?

thanks.

340challconvert

Reaction score
Just a thought:
I picked up an inexpensive 12 ton press from Harbor Freight.(with a 20% coupon, got it cheap)
I pressed out the pivot shaft first (used a socket extension to press against the back of the shaft) It pushes right out from the front.
What is left is the rubber bushing that is inside a metal sleeve.
Rubber comes out easy.
You will be left with the metal sleeve inside the lower control arm.
I bought a removal tool to remove the sleeve, but you can remove it with some effort with a short hack saw.
Very carefully cut a slit in the sleeve in two/three places and again carefully push the sleeve inward from the lip and avoid damaging the LCA sleeve surface.
Re-Assembly; use the press and and install the bushing onto the pivot shaft first, then push the unit into the LCA.

There are lots of videos available on doing this, and you also get to keep the press for other work and save the money used to pay someone. There are also threads on FEBO with members that have done this that are helpful. Really not that difficult to do.
You can search for machine shops in your area if you choose to pay to have someone do the work, usually a shop that builds engines can facilitate this work.
Good luck with whatever you choose to do!
Dino2 (1).gif

LCA w spindle pressed out.JPG

LCSB.JPG

Last edited:

Adam

Reaction score
I think you can use a long bolt, some washers, and a big socket or piece of pipe, to remove the metal shell from the control arm.

slimert

Reaction score
Good info. I would like to add, you can leave the sleeve in. Purchase a set of polyurethane bushings without the metal sleeves, much easier. Make sure to use the supplied grease when installing or they may squeak.

340challconvert

Reaction score
Good info. I would like to add, you can leave the sleeve in. Purchase a set of polyurethane bushings without the metal sleeves, much easier. Make sure to use the supplied grease when installing or they may squeak.
Good comment!
If you use the poly bushings, the sleeve stays in. The poly bushings are known to squeak.
Dino2 (1).gif

hemi71x

Reaction score
I do that type of work, but you would hafta come up to Sacramento, (Rancho Cordova) my part of the world, for you to get it done.
Jim V.
hemi71x

A Body LCA's #4 005 (Small).JPG

Back