• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Lower dash trim - what do you think

FY1TopBanana

Reaction score
For whatever reason I have had my share of lower dash trim problems:
  • learning where ALL the screws are and how to get at them in various contorted positions
  • original pair were all chalky and cracked. Tried restoring with Plastifix structurally, then flexible body filler, sand, prime, paint with a pebble texture urethane bumper repair product. They looked ok.
  • Then repop high quality pieces come out 10 or so years ago and I buy and install them. New ones look good, I break a stud off an old one removing it. I will have another Plastifix repair at some point.
  • During rallye cluster replacement this Winter when I remove the lower trim I klutz drop the right one and it breaks in two. Another Plastifix structural repair to join the two parts comes out very tight and strong. The join line is about as perfect as I've done on over 20 years of difficult plastic repairs, but it won't do for the finished product, so I go at it again with plastic bond primer, flexible filler, build primer. I decide to try Plastidip topcoat -- trying to achieve a light dashpad like texture with soft touch. Ouch, I won't go into it. I have done dip projects before but never when trying to get interior pieces just right and have to pass the 1 foot test.
  • I perpetuate the mess by removing the dip to start over and it has adhered mightily to the primer. I almost break the other trim piece trying to peel off the dip.
So I tried a different approach. I have moved since I had my custom interior done and my man that did the top-notch work has retired.
On my own found a product from the same family (Ultraleather) in a subtly different grain and finish from the seats and interior panels but closer to the dashpad. Local trim shop french stitched and glued them up nicely. Really beats trying all the plastic finishing madness.
Just got them installed as I close out the dash area soon. Relieved.

20220319_141316_HDR~2_resized.jpg

20220319_141616_HDR_resized.jpg

Back