• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Manual vs Power Steering

Claudia

Reaction score
Looking for the pro's and con's of manual steering vs power steering for a '71 Cuda. Wondering how the drive-ability will be in town vs on the highway. Any input, experience or opinions are appreciated.

challenger6pak

Reaction score
The manual is 30 lbs lighter. You don't have parasitic drag on the motor from the pump. It is more turns from lock to lock. It is a pain to parallel park with. I prefer it at highway speeds. The power is easier to drive overall. I have an Challenger RT that came with 4 speed, manual steering, no heat or a/c. It is a fun car. I wouldn't change it. I'm working on a 69 Satellite convertible. It is a cruiser with power steering. I wouldn't change that either. What do you want to do with your car? Sounds like a weekend fun car. If so I would go with power. There are aftermarket boxes that solve most of the problems presented by both the factory manual and power steering. I plan to use the Borgeson power box in my convertible.

Claudia

Reaction score
I really just plan to just have fun with the car. No pro tours. Mostly local drives to car shows or an hour or two away at best. Maybe drive it to work on nice days (interstate). I have never had a manual steering car before and I certainly understand that it will not be as easy to steer as a new car but I don't want to have to fight with it either. It currently has a manual steering set-up on it and I would like to keep it that way if it is feasible.

challenger6pak

Reaction score
Firm feel has an upgraded factory manual box that works well. It puts you halfway between the factory manual and power steering. It is a straight bolt in for your car. Flaming River has an upgraded box also.

Last edited:

Claudia

Reaction score
Is it still a manual steering box, meaning that I can still use my single groove pulley set-up without a power steering pump?

Adam

Reaction score
Back