• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Minor project

Mr Cuda

Reaction score
Building a barracuda from a challenger. Cause, I don't do dodges.
They are making inner roof structure now, to go with the roof skin.
This one will have no roof.
But the other challenger might be a hardtop barracuda.

20220127_144112.jpg

20220127_143951.jpg

Last edited:

Mr Cuda

Reaction score
It's really no problem. Natural progression from doing front clips, qtr panel, trunk floor together or full floor replacement.
Plus 40 years of heavy collision experience.
The jig makes it nice. I got the secret datum specs, (saved from being thrown out in 82') made the jig first, and a car dropped right on.

rklein71

Reaction score
Yep, a minor project for sure! Yes, a jig is certainly a must for this kind of work.

fasjac

Reaction score
Where do you cut to make the shorter Plymouth wheel base?
I haven’t looked in the body dimensions guide (cut/weld) section but, I would say one would follow the barracuda specs??? Interesting for sure.

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
I was wondering when that would come up! I would get the rear floor pans first. I believe that's where it's shorter. While you are at it I would get a rocker panel reinforcement kit.//When you cut the rocker panels and you move the rear section forward. I think you have a plan and understand you need 4 other jig point to sit on. also you might want to have them adjustable (All thread or nut and bolt washer or shims on jig pin) to line up with the front. have front fixed so it won't move.//I can't see everything but it looks like you used the gauge holes. only concern you won' be able to measure or tram.//I would pick up Steck tape
ebay.com/p/1600211734?iid=393097010352 , a laser level inexpensive will do (The set up is what maters) string line and plum bobs.You may already have this stuff.
20160918_5653.JPG

20160918_5661.JPG

DSCN6263.JPG

steck.jpg

Last edited:

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
Before you cut. Measure what the car is,so you know where you started and where your going.What you think is right can and will be wrong. thesis cars have error and it has to be matched.//From what I understand the car will have to be assembled from back to front. 1/4 panels dictate door gap. That's how I would approach it.That's where the rear jig preset would help.
So you probably know what you are doing or you wouldn't be doing this.Thought I would post a few things for the curious. Wish you where close it would be a challenge. I like challenges!
Challengerframespecs1.jpg

20180726_085614.jpg

20180726_084715.jpg

20180726_084216.jpg

Last edited:

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
See what craws into the gauge holes. I put 1" plugs into all hole when done.2nd frame picture right click on to save.There is a blank frame page to measure before start or damage. 3rd also has datum line on.

20161003_113734.jpg

challenger frame blank.jpg

challenger frame dimensions DATUM.jpg

Last edited:

Mr Cuda

Reaction score
I see Challenger RTA has a blackhawk frame dimensions book also! Yes that's my reference spec.
I laid out the 8 vertical post with large washers at stop points to hold at the right height.
Then slid it up under and non crashed car to confirm. It holds everything so well, there is no guesswork.
The extra length is all behind the drivers seat. So you shorten the rocker assembly that is hidden behind the qtr panel.
Don't know why it went bold.

Yes, while I was there, I separated the rocker panel and installed 2x3 1/8 wall tube the entire length. Complete with box sections that slide into the trans crossmember through a window in the inner rocker. I wanted everything to be hidden on this car.
I have put subframe connectors in other people's cars, usually convertibles, for years. Of course all pictures are film not digital so hard to upload. I always run the connector into the rear rail, and open the transmission crossmember from the top and box the inside where the connector hits the transmember.

I put subframe connectors in my first cuda in 1980. Then added gusset plates to the rocker. Eventually triangulated under the hood. Then made a replacement rear shock crossmember.
That car is stiff. The suspension no longer flexes the car, and it rides very smooth.

rallysport

Reaction score
Hi Mr Cuda,

You state: "They are making inner roof structure now, to go with the roof skin." If you don't mind, who is making the inner roof structure? Thank you,

Rally

batman7349

Reaction score
Challenger Datum 1973.jpg

1973 Challenger Datum sheet for those that need one. Found it interesting that some dimensions changed from 1970!

Mr Cuda

Reaction score
I get emails from AMD. Never bothered to look up a catalog number as this one will have no top. I saw a picture with roof side header, c panel , and structure.
All I could find now was this link

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220202-171255_DuckDuckGo.jpg
    Screenshot_20220202-171255_DuckDuckGo.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 105

rallysport

Reaction score
I get emails from AMD. Never bothered to look up a catalog number as this one will have no top. I saw a picture with roof side header, c panel , and structure.
Very interesting. thank you so much Mr Cuda

rallysport

Reaction score
Thank you. I found everything on AMD's site. Cheers!

cuda joe

Reaction score
bear sight gages I haven;t seen them in a while

Back