• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

More rust issues that I don’t know how to fix. Need help!

Benjamin Nelson

Reaction score
Hey everyone, as some of you know I’m doing a partial restoration on my 74 challenger (it’s a race car) and I am stripping paint off to find all the Bondo. I found a spot where the rust is very bad and it had Bondo put over it. I have attached some photos. What’s the best way to fix this? As far as I know nobody makes reproduction panels for that specific part of the car. Help! I can’t afford to take it to a body shop and have them professionally look at it. Any ideas?

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

70chall440

Reaction score
Depending on how well you want to fix it, how much you want to spend there are several options. First (and best) option would be entire quarter/s. The second option is new trunk gutters (from AMD) and then a lot of patching

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
all of the damaged area is covered by replcing the 1/4 panel , being a race car you can try to just patch the needed areas or cut that rail from another donor 1/4 panel

Benjamin Nelson

Reaction score
The car has new quarter skins so I would hate to cute them out, although they do have a bit of Bondo on them. I had no idea that amd produced that many parts! I think I will go the trunk gutter route

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
You only scratched the surface. Yes trunk gutters get them on the way. I'm scratching my head.picture is of new 1/4 panel? If you can weld I would fix the 2 areas. Keep cleaning and cutting and see were you end up. then go from there. temporary fasten gutter with screws pop rivets or calicos. make templates if it helps. If you can weld use stainless 309 or 308 rod or wire,they really make a difference! TIG weld! WARING! hexavalent chromate If you haven't head of it you did now. Read msds . wear respirator with p100 filter. or wide open air you'll be fine. As 70chall440 said how well do you want it done.

Last edited:

gzig5

Reaction score
If you have the time and check back with me in a couple months, I'll hopefully have the full quarters on mine replaced and that area on the old ones is still good. I could probably cut some patches out.

Benjamin Nelson

Reaction score
Gzig5 that would be good. I am trying to get the car done by my 16th birthday in October. I can send you measurement of what I need.

gzig5

Reaction score
BAH! I just reread it, and looked at your picture. You have Challenger and I've got a Cuda. I don't know if that area next to the trunk is similar enough to work or not. Maybe someone can chime in on that.

70chall440

Reaction score
The full quarters are definitely different, however if you are just making patches you could possibly make it work. The tops of the rear part of the quarters are different between a Challenger and Cuda but again if you are patching it might work out, its just metal so you can cut and weld as needed.

SFEbody

Reaction score
If that car has new quarter skins, they were installed 40 years ago. I cant believe. the qtr s new? they have as much rust as the trunk gutters

heminut

Reaction score
If that car has new quarter skins, they were installed 40 years ago. I cant believe. the qtr s new? they have as much rust as the trunk gutters
Quarter skins don't have the trunk rails, they don't go up that far. The trunk rails could still be factory original even if quarter skins were replaced. Quarter skins are not full quarter panels.

Back