• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

NASCAR Hemi

oldkimmer

Reaction score
We’re these motors assigned a vin? We’re they just extra hemi’s that we’re built for the NASCAR program? All info very much appreciated. Thanks. Kim

Ele115

Reaction score
Many came in the cars they were built in, especially the aero cars etc. Others were just parts system replacement blocks and there were quite a few of those. The majority of those race cars back then did start life as a real car so for a while, at least they had their original blocks in them until they blew them up. They blew up a lot of them. Also, a lot of race cars back then ran stolen engines. More so in the shadier sides of drag racing. Those hemi cars were quite easy to steal, and there was always a shortage of hemis in racing circles. Hemi cars stood out like a sore thumb, and thieves could spot them from miles away.

oldkimmer

Reaction score
I’m just curious is all. I’ve heard of one that is supposed to of come out of a 70 Cuda. All complete single 4 barrel. Been sitting since the mid 70s. Thanks. Kim

70chall440

Reaction score
Guess it depends on which team, the independents did have to get a car, mod it and go racing but the bigger names like Petty got cars in white, multiple engines, etc. I remember reading an article about how Chrysler sent a truck load of Hemi's down to Daytona (I think in 69). I'd bet that many NASCAR Hemi's didn't have any VIN on them but then again I don't know how many survived. I suspect a lot of them were scarfed up for drag racers and were subsequently grenaded on a track.

hemi71x

Reaction score

Attachments

• Hemi's.jpg
    Hemi's.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 151

Ele115

Reaction score
That last photo is significant. The factory dual four Carter intake was worthless to Nascar, and really most racers. I am aware that the single Holley solid tappet engines were widely available not only via parts, but also directly from Chrysler in you were in their network. As stated, these engines were blown up and replaced very often. The numbers must have been pretty high.
I know there is so much mistique, legend, controversy and all that but this was just an industry. These were machines in a large system and when you wear out or break it, there is a system to replace it. When one of my paint guns no longer sprays well, get a new one. This is history, I suppose. It can be kind of interesting.

Back