• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Need an exhaust system 318 72 Barracuda

sheetmetaldan

Reaction score
I need to put in a new exhaust system for my Barracuda the motor is a stock 1970 318 from a pickup.I`m going to ditch the manifolds and go with headers.I like a setup from TTI with the "X" crossover pipe but it is a bit on the high side for my budget,does anyone know of any other manufacturers for some price comparisons.Also will I have any clearance issues with the stock starter? I would prefer a system that will bolt right in with out any modifications necessary?Thanks!

Rob C

Reaction score
Summit racing and Jegs have inexpensive true dual exhaust systems that work, sound and fit well in 2-1/4, 2-1/2 and 3 inch. Use the 2-1/4 inch with a stock/mildly built 318.

sheetmetaldan

Reaction score
Ok I just took a look over at Summit and I am looking at 2 sets one from Pypes Performance Exhaust Summit part # SME-10 $299.95 and a system by Thrush Summit part# WLK 89026 $256.95 anyone have any opinions on either of these systems? I don`t want any headaches with clearance issues on my car.Both systems have 2.5 inch pipes the Pypes has the X crossover and Thrush is the H style.Would 2.5 inch pipes be too large for my motor(stock 318)?I would like to add a 340 down the road in the 350-375 HP range.

I think I like the Pypes sytem better than Thrush anyone ever use Pypes how is their fit?

What Headers and mufflers can anyone recommend?

Anyone know if I will need a mini-starter or will my stock one fit?

burdar

Reaction score
I'd look for a good exhaust shop near you that does custom duel exhaust jobs. I used to work at an exhaust shop and my boss was great at custom bending pipe. We were way cheaper than any prebent system and you didn't have to worry about the fit.

The only down side is that most exhaust shops can't do mandrel bends.

ontherun

Reaction score
What Headers and mufflers can anyone recommend?
Anyone know if I will need a mini-starter or will my stock one fit?

just bought a set of hookers from Advanced auto for 115 bucks..
they fit with stock starter but went with the 89 truck starter.....L

Aussie Challenger

Reaction score
I think that a mini starter is a must now days or the late model truck starters, they spin faster and don't sit too close to the headers so that there is no heat soak and can usually be removed without taking off the header. Some of the cheaper headers go under the linkages causing scraping on speed humps etc., TTi are worth it in the long run for the fit and no clearance issues.

Brads70

Reaction score
I used the magnaflow system all stainless. I love it and the sounds too! A little pricey, but it's the last system I'll have to buy! They come in 2.5 and 3"

racerkilla

Reaction score
i just run 3 inch on my 340 cuda from summit.... the kit come with no mufflers and they wanted the muffler placed behind the rear axle.. It took me a bit but i got offset in center out mufflers to work in front of the axle. Was a good kit for the money

I also run 2.5 summit kit on a 79 trans am and it fit perfect

Back