• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Need help: toughest 8 3/4 alive?

hogpowr

Reaction score
Who is building tough 8 3/4 rearends and what components in them? I just blew up my 8 3/4 this weekend at the drag strip. Ring/pinion is gone and it tore the caps off the centersection as well. I want to stick with the 8 3/4, but I need to build one much stronger. Any ideas on which ring/pinion setup and which series case are the toughest out there. Some people like the 489 cases and other people say the 742 is stronger. Either way, I'm planning to buy a new aftermarket case from yukon or someone else..

Any advice and recommendations are appreciated. No one gets to say buy a Dana either..... :)

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
Having been down this road you can buy & install all of the best parts , special carriers , billet caps , brace the housing , it will still break .
I built a top quality 8 3/4 with all of the best parts , I got 1 launch out of it , 45" under full power ripped 36 of 45 teeth off the ring gear & all 10 off the pinion , the rest of the parts held we welded supports inside the housing so the cap were supported , back braced , everything .
My Advice Buy a Dana same $$ & it will not break .....
Doctor Diff / Cass is the best place to deal with !

hogpowr

Reaction score
500 cube big block in a 70 challenger... Probably would have been fine if I wasn't using slicks.

moparleo

Reaction score
Sounds like too much traction. Not kidding, in the old days the tires would spin the whole quarter. Once you get the tires to hook something else has to give or break, so slipper clutches. You need to slip the clutch before getting total traction or use a higher stall convertor if using an auto. Other wise you will just keep on finding out what the next weakest link in the chain is until you replace everything or run out of money.

Back