• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Neutral saftey switch woes

flamesoldier

Reaction score
As I suggested. Hook everything up as it should be. Unbolt the starter relay from the inner fender. Pull coil wire so it wont. start. Try starting in gear. I it cranks over it's the wrong starter relay or its grounded out.
Which coil wire?

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
I would have got back to you sooner. Funny thing dash light not working like they should. So I'm going to fix that!

Xcudame

Reaction score
Thought I'd better post some pictures of a broken comb on the valve body. Here is the only broken one I have in my stash without tearing into one of three complete un-rebuilt transmissions. You can see there is still a ground path provided for Park and Neutral even if the whole plastic piece was missing. And I don't think the NSS plunger is long enough to ground out in Reverse, Drive, Second and First.

IMG_20240524_150109719_HDR (1).jpg

IMG_20240524_150150751 (1).jpg

flamesoldier

Reaction score
Im going to do two things next hoping i dont have to pull the pan. Im gonna do one final test challenger rta told me to do and then follow and remove center wire to check to see if someone grounded out that wire somewhere along the wires path to permanently ground the circuit at some point in its life.

Xcudame

Reaction score
I'd be very surprised if it turned out to be related to the valve body unless a previous owner did something weird with the comb.

Xcudame

Reaction score
Without looking at a wiring diagram, I'd guess some kind of auxillary stereo equipment. Pink and yellow were used for lighting and radios. I'm just guessing mind you.

flamesoldier

Reaction score
ok guys update i bench tested the switches again and they were perfect as indicated before. I decided to remove the nss wire from relay and multimeter it switching gears to see what the wire was sending. Here is the result.
P 2.1
R 61.8
N 2.9
D 61.8
2 61.8
1 61.8
The switch works as it should p and n as we already know but something funny the wire never changed its number between any of the other gears which means that the wite could be grounded or shot in some capacity. I just ordered a new nss harness cause mine is really old and worn looking.

MoparCarGuy

Reaction score
It is possible for the NSS wiring to be melted or otherwise compromised between two wires and provide just enough GND at 61.8Ω to allow the starter relay to energize.

Look back at the earlier “inspect wiring” posts.

Back