• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

New Guy / Not a Car Guy

Raycuda

Reaction score
Welcome to the family from Tampa Bay. You have a beautiful car, love the color combination.

Xcudame

Reaction score
Welcome aboard to FEBO for the Arizona desert! You were smart to get and keep the car. You have a well documented ride. Take things slow and fix the fuel leak(s) first. Then just keep chipping away at issues. A good friend of mine told me just dedicate at least one half hour a day everyday on your car and you will be amazed how things come together.

Raycuda

Reaction score
I'm probably nuts for doing this; but here goes.

View attachment 99361
I'm Pat - and I'm from PA. I've owned my 1973 Dodge Challenger for 19 years this coming April. I bought it when I was 13 because I thought it was cool as hell - and my Pap's friend (who was terminally ill) needed the money. I worked at the family warehouse and cut lawns for $5/hr. I paid $5500 and "get it the **** out of my driveway already" in Spring 2004 dollars. I'm the second owner; and I've driven it about...3 times since I bought it (yes - you read that correctly) - due to insurance policies that would only let people who have 10 years+ of experience drive it on classic insurance / traveling away for college / etc. The car was originally sold by my Uncle "Nook" at Giornesto Motors in Saxton, PA in 1973 - I have the original build sheet, sales slip, window tag, and brochures from when the car was originally sold to the first owner., and what I believe to be the original Dodge shop manuals and such from the Dodge Dealership when it shuttered. It also has what's left of the dealership sticker on the trunk decklid and the build sheet from inside the rear seat.

I grew up in a family full of people who love Chevy's almost as much as the Lord Jesus but,
I'm not a car guy, and
I have no clue what I'm doing. Which is where this journey takes a sharp left turn

The car has sat mostly in storage / and occasionally started for the past ~2 decades. I'm signing up here because the motor leaks (in no particular order) Coolant, Oil, Transmission Fluid, and Gasoline. I'm trying to learn what I need to know in order to repair the problems so the car can at least be driven (finally). While replacing seals and parts lost to time - I would like to hop up the motor a bit to give it a little kick in the pants. The car is anemic; badly - as the stock 318 (I believe) made all of 150HP in this year. I'm willing to listen to anything reasonable; but I don't need a racecar motor built by "so and so's engine guy". Just enough that the car might be able to pass in a strong headwind.

The factory paint is checked beyond belief. A modest amount of rust (nothing terrible) - on the drivers side quarter. The car will need paint; one day - but for now I'd just like to drive the damned thing.

Picture today, in case ya'll think I'm full of ****. Yes, I still have the factory hood - I replaced it probably 12-14 months after I bought the car because I thought it was cool.

View attachment 99362
That is one beautiful Challenger you have there. She looks to be in pretty good shape for a 50 year old car.

Back